Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

pio

MIS
Aug 24, 2000
US
Hi all,

My company's email server is a Linux box (Debian). Right now it's currently setup with one email (yourname@mycompany.com). Well, our company is split up into 2 companies and for the longest time everyone has been receiving email using the "yourname@mycompany.com" address. The other company no longer wants to be using the "yourname@mycompany.com" anymore because of confusion with our clients and potential clients.

My question is: Is it possible to setup another email using let's say..."yourname@yourcompany.com" on the same server or do I need to purchase another server to do this?

Please advise and the procedures if any to do so....

Thanks in advance...

Which mail server are you using?

ChrisP If someone resolves an issue for you, or was helpful, please click the link on the bottom left hand corner of their post to give them a "star" letting them know they helped you.

Yes it is very possible. We just need to know the mail server you are using such as qmail or sendmail. Sendmail is the most common so if that is your baby, you may be able to check out the docs at and read up on virtual hosting. There is also a sendmail forum on this site so you should be able to get it up and running in no time.

I heard that Sendmail doesn't support multiple domains. Maybe you should take a look at Postfix ( which is another free alternative to Sendmail. Postfix is more secure and easier to configure than Sendmail.

ChrisP If someone resolves an issue for you, or was helpful, please click the link on the bottom left hand corner of their post to give them a "star" letting them know they helped you.

Thanks for the info you guys...

BTW - I am using sendmail...

Thanks again,
Ray

Where did you hear that Chris? Sounds like qmail propaganda to me. :) Sendmail is used by some of the biggest ISPs and web hosting services in the world. I am currently running seven different company's websites and as far as they are conserned, they think they have their own mail server.

Really, I was told that from a Linux guru that I know. This is the first time he's ever been wrong about anything. Was this possible in earlier versions of Sendmail? I've never used Sendmail myself, because I hear a lot of bad things about it (like the above statement).

"I am currently running seven different company's websites" --> I'm assuming you meant to say that you are hosting mail for 7 different domains on the same Sendmail server?

I'll ask him about that tomorrow when I see him.

Back when I was first starting out with Linux awhile ago, I asked this Linux guru, who runs an entire ISP (virtually by himself) on Linux boxes, what he thought of Sendmail. Here's what he said below. Let me know if you disagree with any of it.

"Sendmail's issues for us are as follows:
1) insecure
2) does NOT support multiple (virtual) domains
3) configuration file written in martian

I don't like DJB, and I hate that he and he alone decides where and how qmail gets installed. Qmail also does amazingly stupid s**t with .qmail-forward, .qmail-deliver, etc files in each user's homedir instead of a single config file.

Postfix is as secure as qmail, supports both mbox (sendmail) and maildir (qmail) formats. It also supports virtual domains. Ours has a database (postgresql) backend, which makes administration simple and painless".

There are many who will agree with his first and third points. :) I haven't come across any security problems myself but it seems they come up with a fix as soon as someone finds a way to exploit something. It also needs a few databases for this and for that but once you get used to the idea... :) I cheat a bit and use webmin. I can make changes to all the files in one place.

In reponse to the original question..

to do this, just put the domain in under /etc/mail/local-host-names (assuming /etc/mail is your mail conf directory) and assign the MX (in DNS) for that domain to your mail server.

you may also want to put the other domain under /etc/mail/access to RELAY

Thanks again for everyone's input...

This bit about Postfix from :

This software was formerly known as VMailer. It was released by the end of 1998 as the IBM Secure Mailer. From then on it has lived on as Postfix.

My question is, if it is a viable alternative, why does IBM still distribute AIX with Sendmail? IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back