Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail server behind IOS firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmrk

Technical User
Nov 27, 2001
US
Our former IT provider configured our router and firewall to protect network from internet threats. GRC says it is pretty solid. However, the mail server was left outside of the firewall. Can the firewall be configured to also cover the mail server without compromising the rest of the network? If so, how complicated of a project should this be? My current provider seems a little intimidated by the prospect and has suggested just adding another firewall box like the Watchguard Firebox. This seems to me like anything the Firebox can do, the IOS should be able to handle. I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter

What feature pack are you running?
ip/fw?
ip?
sure this can be done with the correct ios version. I would do this with th ip/firewall feature set and set up access lists as to what ports you wan open and apply the access list to the interface.

access-list 100 permit ip any 10.0.0.23 eq www
for web access..

access-list 100 permit ip any 10.0.0.23 eq smtp

The advantage of a two tier firewall set up is that it provides additional protection to your inside network. By using two vendor's solutions you protect yourself from any proprietary attacks against the Cisco should they arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back