Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail Sent is Dated in the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2000
US
I have one user whose mail is suddenly dated a month in advance when he sends it. His workstation has the correct time. I'm not a Notes whiz but I don't see any user preference settings that would affect this. Any ideas?

Are you using Notes R5? and did his problem begin on or near the daylight savings time change?

If so, you may be having a problem similar to the one we experienced here. Our server is an IBM AS/400, so there may be differences in the settings with any other kind of server.

What we eventually found out is that we had not defined the DST settings on the server properly, so after every time change, folks would complain about their clocks being messed up. While this problem persisted, attempts to use the client-side clock to correct the issue resulted in the Notes clock being pushed forward more and more, even a month forward in one case. However, many of the clocks were untouched and somehow kept the correct time.

Correcting the DST info on the server and rebooting it over the weekend allowed us to bring all clocks back to the correct time.

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is R5. The problem seemed to occur over the Thanksgiving holiday. The dates of mail in his sent box go from 11/27/02 and then jump to 12/25/02. Today's mail is dated 1/3/03. The problem doesn't seem to be occurring to other users. You mentioned the client-side clock, where do I find that? It is very possible that this user was "tweaking" settings within the software.

By "client-side clock" I was actually referring to the clock on the user's computer, not a specific clock in the Notes software. We noted in our case that matters grew progressively worse if the user tried to modify his/her clock in Windows. Also contributing to the problem were their attempts to make changes to the time using settings found under the Basic and Advanced tabs in the current Location document. Let me know if you need help finding the location document.

Do you have an active iNotes account for the user? That is, the version of Notes that can be checked by web? If so, go into it and look at the clock settings on new memos and such. We found on our iNotes that the time was more accurate if not dead-on accurate because the clock and location document on the user's computer were not interfering. We used this as a proof when verifying that the user's account was suffering from the specific problem.

I read another post that mentioned the editing the location document. Where is that? Again, thanks for the help.

on the user's pc, in lotus, got to "file,mobile, edit current time/phone" there is an option to change the date and time there. i've had several users with a similiar problem, they were all fixed this way.

sorry for the double post, but the location document is in the lower right-hand corner of the notes screen, right above the system clock. there will be a word such as "office" or "connected", etc. click on that work, you will see and option for "edit current" this will open the location document.
OR
go to file, mobile, edit current location. either way will take you to the same place.

Setting the OS clock to a date in the past or future could cause Notes client to date documents wrong. Even if the user didn't apply the date change, (for example just browsing the calendar to check a date) some versions of Windows OS will write the change anyway. I think this was fixed in Win 2000. Restarting the Notes client should sync the time.

Thanks for all the replies. The problem actually seemed to fix itself. Windows, the BIOS/CMOS, Notes client and Domino server all had the correct time. Just one of those fluky issues that appear from time to time.

One more possibility - we had a few users who suddenly found that the times of their appointments had changed, usually by an hour, sometimes significantly more. This happened around the time the clocks changed, and although this was sometimes due to local time zone settings in Windows, which Notes 5 picked up every time it started, the common factor was that they all had secretaries with full access to their calendars and who entered appointments from their own machines. The combination of two machine dates sometimes appeared to mess things up.

Maybe doesn't apply here, but worth considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back