Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mail routing based on from address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd1215

Technical User
Sep 26, 2003
US
Hello sendmail guru's. I have a project to tackle. This project is to route email from a specific domain to a specific relay server or mail host.

I've read tons of stuff about sendmail and m4 configuration and it being a very complex smtp server makes me a little queasy with modifying the config's. Never the less I still need to do this. :)

Would I define a delivery agent for each relay or mailhost I wish to deliver to and then setup something in RuleSet 1?

How would I write the ruleset? That's were I really get tripped up?

Any help is greatly appriciated.

FYI - The smtp server is not internet facing so there is no worry about open relay's or spam's from there.

Before we can configure sendmail, we need to know how sendmail fits into the loop. For example, are these other domains local to your sendmail server?

These domain would not be local but forwarded from an internet facing relay server. So you have sender, sending from their location to my public relay which takes the email and relays it internally to a sendmail server which at that point determines the senders address domain and routes the email based upon that info to a mailhost internally for processing.

I have major issues here trying to deal with my own stupidity. For some reason I'm not understanding what it is you are trying to do. After reading your last post several times, it sounds like you want to be able to route mail from the outside world to a specific local domain based on the "from" address of the sender. This is what's confusing me because in this case the recipient isn't even included in the picture.

Well there are pieces of information that are getting left out of this. Obviously there is a recipient domain that our public mail server is going to accept mail for, and there is a valid user that we would deliver mail for. we want to be able to control what mail relay the mail gets sent to based upon the sender's domain. Some sender domain's we want to send to relay A and some sender domain's we want to send to relay B. Both relay's will process mail for the recipient so that's not an issue. The issue is the relay based upon sender's domain. I guess it's kind of like spam control except that it's not spam and we definetly want to do something which each message regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back