Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike2277

Programmer
Mar 25, 2002
US
Hi,
Hoping for some help on a mail problem.

Running Windows 2000 server, MS SQL Server and ColdFusion MX.

I have an application that allows teachers to create websites for their classes. They can enroll groups of students and each student has an email address. They can use a form then to email all of their students in the class.

I just discovered that I can go to CFusionMX > Mail > Undeliv to check to see if any emails have been undelivered. I was horrified to see that a lot of messages were never sent.

I'm relaying through an exchange server and all settings seem fine.

I'm looking at all of the unsent mail to find a pattern but can't seem to come up with one.

For example, in one class of 15 students there were 3 emails not sent. I emailed these 3 people via my client email program - Eudora - and their email addresses are valid, they replied right away.

I check mail log and find a message like this for each undelivered:

Connection refused....could not connect to smtp host etc. nested exception is: java.net.connect.exception

I have tested this many times on my machine and get replicate the issue. I even use all external email addresses to see if that's the issue. I have logged onto other external servers that are running this app and they've got some unsent mail as well.

90% of the time the mail works fine. The other 10% only some of the users in the group get the mail.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Mike

how are you sending the mail?

i've had issues where i had multiple addresses in the "to" paramater and it didn't send some. now i send all my email individually inside a cfloop and i don't have a problem.

are all the mail's sent at one time? if you have each mail being sent individually after the teacher fills out the form is there a valid email in the FROM paramater? (it wont work without one)

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Thanks for the ideas.

No, I'm not using cfloop to send the emails. I'll try that and see if that helps.

Also, I have tested with both valid and invalid addresses in the from field and that doesn't seem to be able to replicate it.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back