Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail not being automatically delivered

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgodfrey71

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2004
GB
We have something odd happening with a couple of Outlook 97 users. Each have their inbox open but don't receive new mail until they change to a different folder. For example, one of them hadn't received mail for an hour, but as soon as they moved from their Inbox to their Deleted Items folder, 12 messages then appeared in their Inbox.
Has anyone seen this happen before ? Thanks

Run Detect and Repair from Outlook. If that doesn't resolve the issue, re-install. I had the same problem with one of my users in Outlook XP where mails were not appearing unless they scrolled up and down. The problem was fixed when I upgraded her to Outlook 2003 since we were upgrading anyways.

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+, Security+

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they have to double-click on the Inbox then surely it's the same as clicking on a different folder, in that it's forcing the screen to refresh but not actually solving the problem of why it's not refreshing automatically ?

Could you please explain what's meant by running detect and repair ? I'm not familiar with how to do this.
We have tried re-installing Office but it made no difference and the problem still occurred. Thanks

Sure it's the same as clicking on a different folder. We're just forcing it to refresh, 'cause it does not automatically refresh...nor does Internet Explorer unless it's programmed that way, or any other program that I know of.

You don't have Detect and Repair in Office 97; it began with Office 2000.

Anne Troy
Killer Coder Live Chat!

I appreciate your point, but what I'm hoping to achieve is specifically for these two PC's to automatically refresh when new mail arrives, without the need for manual intervention. All the other 180 PC's in the office manage to do it so I'm stumped as to why these don't.

It's a corruption in the program. If re-installing Office didn't work then you may have to re-do the system if the issue is that big of a deal.

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+, Security+

Please forgive me, jgodfrey. I thought I remembered it being inherent with 97, tho I used that version for such a short period. And I've just had a look and couldn't find anything either. YUK!

The only thing I can think to try is a /regserver. Do you know how to do that?

Anne Troy
Killer Coder Live Chat!

Don't think I've run the /regserver command before.
Any advice would be very well received. Thanks very much.

Got the same problem here where you need to force a refresh. Exchange Server should notify the Outlook client of new mail. Being a client-server application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back