Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail merge Word & Excel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenTrac

Technical User
May 14, 2004
I am doing a mail merge from Word 2003 using a Excel 2003 spreadsheet. The cell has a value of -3302.89 but in the mail merge in Word it shows -3302.8899999999999. Has this to do with TRUNCATE or the format of the cells? I tried to truncate but it still shows the wrong extended value. I also tried to ROUND but the same. Anyone some help? Thanks

Round or Truncate eiteher one should take care of the problem. After changing the formula in Excel, save your worksheet, then try the merge again. It sounds like the contents of the cell are displaying 3302.89, but have a formula which actually contains 32302.889999999 etc.

Sawedoff

Hi Powerbook,

Apart from editing the source data as Sawedoff suggests, you can format the fields in your mailmerge document. This means your your mailmerge output can be formatted independently of the formatting in the data source.

To do this,
To add a numeric picture switch to an existing field:
[tab].[tab]Select your the field and press F9. You should see something like: {MERGEFIELD Mydata}.
[tab].[tab]Add the appropriate numeric picture switch after the field name ('Mydata' in the above example). Switches you might need include:
[tab][tab][tab].[tab]\# 0 - gives the nearest whole number
[tab][tab][tab].[tab]\# 0.00 - gives the number to the nearest 2nd decimal place
[tab][tab][tab].[tab]\# ,0.00 - gives the number to the nearest 2nd decimal place, with a thousands separator
[tab][tab][tab].[tab]\# $,0.00 - gives the number to the nearest 2nd decimal place, as $ and cents, with a thousands separator.
[tab].[tab]Press F9 to update the field
[tab].[tab]Run your mailmerge

See Word's help file for more field formatting options.

Cheers

Thanks with a combination of both I got it solved. I have a Excel spreadsheet with billing info from customers. The sheet contains voucher numbers where a single users might have 4 entries or queries. While a mail merge will give you one merge document per Excel cell I want to have the 4 customer invoices displayed on one sheet in the merge. What I am trying to avoid is sending 4 letters out to the same customer regarding different queries. I would like to be able to select where the customer info is the same in the sheet to go onto a single merge document and the next customers info and statements will go onto the next page of the merge.. Is this possible?

Hi Powerbook,

The easiest way to do this would be to have a separate column for each voucher for a given customer. Then your merge could use separate MERGEFIELDs for each voucher and assocaited values (eg Voucher1, V1$, Voucher2, V2$, Voucher3, V3$, etc). Obviously, you'd need to have as many mergefields as the maximum number of vouchers, but that would be easy to implement.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back