Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail merge pinted to dot matrix form is rotating text...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BugZap13

Programmer
Dec 2, 2013
US
I have a mail merge from an Access database to a form in Word 2010/2013. The form has a custom size of Width: 6" x Height: 3", and a margin of Top: .25, Left: .25, Bottom: 0, Right: 0. The orientation is set to landscape. This is then being printed to a dot matrix printer which has pin feed forms in it. When I print the resulting document the preview windows shows the document in a landscape orientation as I want it to print. But when it is sent to the printer it rotates the document as though it was an envelope using a feed option with the short edge of the document at the top. I want to print this without trying to use a feed option. Where do you specify feed options when not using a envelope.

TIA
Mark

Here is an interesting article which states that the "Custom Size" uses the envelope print options. Unfortunately Word 2010 does not seem to care about the envelope options when printing a custom size document.

You might get the results you're after using a label merge, using a table with cells the required size. Simply ensure there's enough rows in the table to fill your output page; that way, you'll only get a page feed as each page is filled up. After formatting the first cell's layout to match your requirements, click on the 'update labels option' before running the merge.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Paul you may be on the right track as a workaround. I can tell you that I have gotten around the issue by changing the form (margins) in Word 2003, saving the file and then doing the mail merge at the clients site using Word 2010 or 2013.

The article above talking about the envelope printer setting for custom forms is correct. The problem is that when using a custom form size that is not an envelope, the "feed options" found for specifying the direction of the envelope feed is not available. All is well with the form that I changed in 2003 but as soon as I change the paper size or margins the problem reappears.

Am I missing something here? Why are you selecting landscape as the orientation?

If your "standard"/custom orientation is 6 wide by 3 high then isn't that the "portrait" view? Of course, then when you change to landscape, it turns everything 90 degrees and the 3 side becomes the top. Think about what happens when you switch a standard letter size job to portrait.

What happens if you print in portrait?

Lyle
----
"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Arthur C. Clarke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back