Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail Merge in Word using Access 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzcomptime

Technical User
Jul 12, 2000
US
I have a mail merge document set up in Word that has an Access database as the data source. I had a field in Access that was not formatted the way I wanted (I wanted currency, with comma, 2 decimal places). I changed the field properties and now the database is fixed but everytime I merge the data into the document it has no formatting. Just the number with no decimals, comma or dollar sign.

Also, another field in the database has a comment which may or may not be on all the records. In order to get my spacing right on the Word document, I have included a space before the comment. The database field that has the comment has a space for the first character and then the wording. When I mail merge, the space doesn't show up only the rest of the words. I have also tried to put the space at the end of the comment and change my Word wording but it doesn't recognize a space at the end of that field either. The only thing different we have recently done is upgrade to Office 2000.

I sure hope someone can help me and reading through some of the helpful hints and answers I'm sure you can because you guys are way over my head. I wish I had more time to hang out here.

THANKS!

Suz

Currency format only affects the way the column is displayed in Access. Word reads the stored format without formatting. In order for the formatting to appear in Word, change the data source to a query where the column is changed to text data type using the format function.

Select ColA, ColB, format([ColC], "Currency") As ColC_Curr
From MyTbl Terry
------------------------------------
Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us worthy evidence of the fact. -George Eliot

Suzcomptime:

Did you ever find a solution for the problem with the preceding spaces getting stripped out on you? I am running into the same problem.

Thanks in Advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back