Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail merge fields too large

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjdk

Programmer
May 2, 2003
US
Greetings! I am helping a customer with a rather large mail merge project. We have an access front end, and sql backend. I have the document set up, and we are in the process of placing the merge fields on the document. Here's the problem...there are multiple columns of data on the word doc. Col. 1 is merge fields, col 2 is the corresponding skill, col 3 merge fields, col 4 corresponding skill, ect. The merge fields are named 1 thru 160. When we add the merge field to the document, it appears as <<M_1>> thru <<M_160>>. The actual contents of these 160 fields are a max of 2 characters. When we add field 1 to the doc, our column isn't large enough to fit <<M_1>> and it pushes everything down a line. <<M_160>> really pushes things down. Is there any way to get around this? We are pretty much out of space on the page, but need to make everything fit! To view the base document, there appears to be plenty of space where the merged data goes. Also...why is the M_ added to the beginning of my merge fields (the ones that are named 1, 2, ... 160)? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Probably not the best fix, but what about changing the margin settings? Have you tried that?

Actually, that did the trick! Thanks!
I know, it probably isn't the best fix....but it worked and the customer is happy.

Thanks!!

Hi sjdk,

It really doesn't matter if the mergefields take up more space than the data will - everything will fall back into place once you execute the merge. This will also become apparent if you preview the merge (which might actually make it easier to adjust the formatting).

Cheers
[MS MVP - Word]

oh...ok...didn't realize that! Thanks for the good info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back