Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail Merge alternating print

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcarlyle

Technical User
Mar 27, 2007
We have a printer with multiple trays. We merge print a large document in MSWord. What we want is page 1 letterhead, page 2 plain, page 3 letterhead, page 4 plain,... Any clues how we set that up? The printer sees that merged document as one continuous document.

Hi,

How about ...

print ODD pages

print EVEN pages.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] To be safe on the [red]FOURTH[/red],
Don't take a [red]FIFTH[/red] on the [red]THIRD[/red]
Or you might not come [red]FORTH[/red] on the [red]FIFTH[/red]
[red][highlight blue]FORTH[/highlight][/red][white][highlight red]WITH[/highlight][/white] [tongue][/sub]

Thank you for your fast response. That is a possible solution, however the document is very large and putting the parts back together again is fraught with danger. The parts are highly sensitive so it would not do to have a mix up. We need an automated solution to our problem that doesn't entail manual handling.

Then record a macro that prints one page using one tray and then a second macro that prints one page using the other tray.

Post back with your recorded code in Forum707 for a VBA solution.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] To be safe on the [red]FOURTH[/red],
Don't take a [red]FIFTH[/red] on the [red]THIRD[/red]
Or you might not come [red]FORTH[/red] on the [red]FIFTH[/red]
[red][highlight blue]FORTH[/highlight][/red][white][highlight red]WITH[/highlight][/white] [tongue][/sub]

Hi,

I assume you are using a two page source document for the mail merge so there will be 2 pages for each document set.

Checkout this reference re using Letterhead on the first page of a document and normal paper on subsequent pages:

Try incorporating this into a copy of your source document and do a small mailmerge test.

Good Luck!

Peter Moran

Hi all, I found this somewhere and now can't find it again to acknowledge the source. This worked very well and if the person who created this reads it and lets me know who they are, they will receive a star. Here is the code:
Sub PrintEachRecipient()
Dim i As Integer
'
With ActiveDocument.MailMerge
'SHOW ME THE DATA, rather than the merge codes
.ViewMailMergeFieldCodes = False

For i = 1 To .DataSource.RecordCount
ActiveDocument.PrintOut
.DataSource.ActiveRecord = wdNextRecord
Next
End With
End Sub