Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail Merge Accessing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbasslichtie

Programmer
Oct 2, 2002
GB
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this please. I have to set up system where the user can input data about people. They then have to press a button and produce a CV for one specific person.

The way I have done it so far is to have an input form that stores data in multiple tables. I have set up a query to filter one person out by using their surname, and I've made a word document to merge all the data in from the query. These all work fine independently and seem to do the right thing. When Access is open, I can open the word document independantly and it comes up with the query and the data merges fine.

The problem comes when I try to link the word document to Access by setting up a hyperlink in a form to it. The document opens, the query works but I cant merge it as the buttons in the toolbar are unselectable. But if I open it again outside of access it works fine again.

Can anyone help me with this please as I'm at my wits end now.

Although it CAN be done in Word - why on earth are you making life so hard for yourelf ?

Bring the layout from Word over into an Access Report and do it ALL in Access.

G LS

I've tried doing this but its not what I need. Firstly, the layout isnt very good, I am finding it more difficult to do simple editing. Also, the client wants to edit the finished CV's prior to printing, making changes in the format etc. and they cant do this in a report, I have a surname and first name field and when they show in a report it either shows up as "More Samples" or MoSamples". Finally, I cant save the report as a word file, which is what I need.

Thanks for the reply though.

Okay - fair cop - you have a good reason - it is much more than a mail merge issue.

G LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back