Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail goes out, but doesn't come in - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadanB

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2002
Hi Again,

I finally got things to go out (DNS problem) but now, nothing comes in. My guess is it has something to do with the connector, or something along those routes?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciate. Thanks :)

It's probably DNS coming in too. The name servers you specified (maybe yours, maybe a hosting company) to whoever registered your domain need to have an MX record for your mail server. Marc Creviere

Here is what I get through my hotmail when I try and send to myself in my company:

Reporting-MTA: dns;hssdc1.hss
Received-From-MTA: dns;hssdc1.hss
Arrival-Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 14:05:04 -0400

Final-Recipient: rfc822;madan@sys.net
Action: failed

What the heck does this mean? I exsist as a recipient, so why doesn't it find it's way to me? Thanks for all your help :)

do you have a different internal domain name than your external domain name??

if so you will need to add that external SMTP address into Default Recipient Policies.

also check your MX record on your external DNS.

I have the exact same problem. I have no different internal domain. Also MX record looks fine. HELP!

You need to configure a smtp connector to router internet email. Otherwise exchange will think it is trying to relay it.

Ahh, well, I have a different internal domain name, the MX record is built, dns2go set one up for me. I will try and check the connector thing now. So all I have to do is add the public domain name to the SMTP connector and put a * in the field right? Thanks for all your help :)

What is wrong with using the default SMTP virtual connector exchange creates?

Hi gjw12,
I believe that the default SMTP connector is created for the default domain, hence my problem. I didn't have a connector from my external domain to my internal one, therefore when mail is sent to a recipient, the domain is validated but the user is not, because there is no connection. But, that's my take on it. Hope it helps.

First have you done any testing using telnet port 25 going directly to your exchange servers ip address doing the normal ehlo handshake type things.

If this works then you know your exchange smtp connector is not the issue then you can start isolating the problem.

I would do an nslookup using local DNS and see where it points hopefully to your exchange connector or to some relay server you have setup that popints to your exchange server.

If this is not the problem then I would do nslookup using an external Name server.

Other possibilities are Firewall is not allowing Telnet port 25 through from outside or if it is it is Nating to an address on inside and this may not be the correct address.

Hope this helps without knowing more about your network all I can do is make intelligent guesses.

Ok, I have tested all my ports, and the firewall. All is good. I tried to send inside the domain from one user name to the other and it's just sitting in the queue waiting to go out. Thanks for the help.

-Madan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back