Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail box limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Some of my users are having mail box over storage problems.
I am using Exchange server 5.5 with Outlook 2000 as the clients.

I have made them empty out their sent and deleted items folder. But still they get that e-mail daily saying that their mailbox is over the limit.

All help to resolve this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks

On the server, for each mailbox you can set-up a limit as the max size that it can grow to. Check that this is not set.

You can also check that they mailboxes are not over 2Gb in size. I think it's 2Gb - maybe more. I do know though that when it gets over this size that it complains.

Another thing you could do is to get your users to move their unwanetd/old emails to a .pst file so that they can store them on their PC's.

Its a place to start ~ Remember - Nothing is Fool Proof to a Talented Fool ~

Don't forget the Mailbox limits can be unique to the mailbox or use the Private Information store limits. You may need to check both.

Hi,

I encountered this in one of my client's place.
This is what I did:

1. Check the size of the space taken by the user:
from exchange admin utility

2. Created .pst folders for the user.
This was created on the server so that it is
part of the backup. Permissions were modified
accordingly.

3. User was requested to move the mails
which are very big in size or too old
into the pst folders.

4. In the outlook client, right click on the
menu bar (just above the mails)and select
"Customize Current View" and select "Fields"
and add "Size". The user will be able to
see the size of each email in every folder
and move the big emails to .pst.

5. Check the size of the user space from
Exchange Admin.

6. If it has not reduced please

refer to
(We did not do this )

Regards

Ram

Also after deleting the sent items and deleted items. Ask you users to go to deleted items recovery and delete all
the emails that can be recovered.

check the journal, delete all the entries and turn it off.
Also they may have excessive entries in their calendars

hope this helps

Check each folder under Outlook Today. Right click/select properties/click Folder size. That will tell you the size of each folder and the cause of your problems. What I see most commonly is people creating Sub Folders under the Outlook today folders (Inbox, Outbox, Deleted Items, etc...). Those DO count as profile storage. If this is the case create a personal folder (.pst) and point it to their hard drive or folder on the server (if you want to back them up) and throw stuff in there. Note: Having a .pst file on the server can sometimes cause Outlook to take an extremely long time to open remotely and even on the LAN. So my recommendation is to keep them on the users local C: drive. -Brad
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

-Best cartoon of all time :-D 'Spongebob Squarepants' [cook]

Make sure your MTA limits are set properly. I have had the same problem a couple of months ago. But it was more due to a firewall issue. Most firewalls block incoming and outgoing emails greater than 5 MB. That might be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back