Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Magix to IPO ptpT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfed

Programmer
Apr 28, 2010
US
I have a customer with a maxed out Magix. He is considering purchasing an IP Office but has the more immediate need of activating another 20 users in a neighboring building -- Currently there is a fiber cable connecting the two buildings, and there are existing Magix users in the 2nd building.

My thoughts on getting the additional 20 people (2nd building) up and running is to temporarily install an IP Office with 20 sets and connect the two switches (IPO and Magix) over the fiber cable.

I know I'll need T1 boards in both the IPOffice and Magix... Question is -- can I emulate a point to point T1/PRI over the existing fiber cable or do I need the provider to come in and install a proper PTP-T1? Has anyone ever tried this?

We did this using PRI cards with the two systems sided by side. If you have at least two copper pairs between sites, or you plan on using IP sets across the fiber, this would certainly be an option.

I think I remember doing something like that in a class years ago... apparently there is copper between the buildings as well.
Does anyone know the length (distance) over which I can "emulate" a ptpT1 this way?

I don't know the maximum length, but if you decide to go ahead with this I'll be glad to share what I can remember.

TechTip on the subject:

Also, we created mailboxes in Merlin Messaging for the IP Office users and forwarded their phones on busy/na to their respective mailbox extensions. The mailbox extension could NOT match the IP Office extension. I forget what happened when they matched, but it was bad! Something to do with MWI notifications, as I remember.

I have done this several times when connecting Magixs and Legends back in the day via T-1 emulated Fiber. The boxes were from adtran and took two multi-mode fiber strands and turned them into dry line T-1.

This would work fine.

Kevin Flounders

I have done this as well with boxes made by Rad. I think the website is Raddirect.com

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back