Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Magix R4 V7 constant reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojo69

Vendor
Oct 20, 2004
US
I am working with a Magix R4. Busy indicators on the 4450 not extinguishing after the extension went on hook was the original issue. I was getting sanity errors from all boards. 412, 2-024TDL's 100 DCD and Merlin Mail. I replaced processor, renumbered boards, and began testing. It is now constantly rebooting. I unseated every card, and started the process of elimination as to what could be causing the reboots. I have it narrowed down to having to leave the Merlin Messaging unseated for the PRI to remain stable. Messaging in Slot 5. DS1 in Slot 4. Does this sound like a bad carrier or Messaging. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Regards

What about the power supply????
By removing the MM card does the system stabilize?

Yes the system does stabilize after unseating MM card. What are your thoughts?
Regards

If your Magix stops rebooting by removing the MM card.
Sounds like a bad MM card. Though, I have never seen a MM
card make the system go crazy that way. maybe the other gurus
of the forum can chime in on this.
Are you able to test the MM at all...or the power supply
voltages???

I just worked on a system like that and it has a separate cabinet for the DS1 card with its own supply. I would guess the power supply is being drawn down too far and it's not delivering the CURRENT needed to run the system. 15 to 20 years is a lot to ask of electrolytic caps in a supply.[pre][/pre]

I would highly suspect the POWER feeding the system itself - OR THE POWER UNIT OR THE MM MODULE!

A good test would be to use a Volt Ohm Meter to Measure/Monitor the VOLTAGES at the TEST TAPS on the front of the POWER SUPPLY. The MONITOR part of that would be to see what it does with the module installed and without the module installed.

If the voltages are MARGINAL without the module, then I would suspect the power from the wall. I've seen many crazy things caused by "BROWN" power.

I would say make those tests and let's see what you find. I wouldn't want to recommend any type of UPS until we can isolate the problem better.

-merlinmansblog.blogspot.com

If the unit is on a UPS, the UPS could be causing the issue. I have had that happen a number of times as those units get old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back