Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Magix R4.7 lost power and will not reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvfrc183

Technical User
Mar 7, 2013
US
recently we lost power for about 2 hours. our generator never kicked on so the phone system was down for the full 2 hours. when the power returned, the processor, which is a merlin magix R4.7 would not boot back up and has a red light on it. i tried rebooting a few times but nothing. i swapped that processor out for an old Merlic Legend R3.0 which booted back up fine and rolled it back to the last update. What could be wrong with the Merlin Magix Processor?

can you log on with spm ?
d when powering up do you see letters above the backup card , what do you see ?

I just checked. as soon as i power the rack up the red light comes on on the processor. I cannot connect using winspm. Any other ideas before i order a new processor? Is there an internal battery that could have gone bad or that i could remove to erase any error codes? Also, i have no pcmcia card installed in the processor.

Older Magix processors used caps to maintain programming during power failures. Newer processors used a pair of batteries.

You'll need to pull the processor and visually inspect it. If it has batteries, slip a piece of paper under each top clip. That will cut power (assuming that the batteries are good).

If a default doesn't work, and no communication is possible either with a computer or console, replace the processor keeping what has been said in the other posted topic. Be sure to order a PCMCIA card. Except for Avaya Merlin Messaging voicemails, Magix hardware is fairly inexpensive at this point.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

There's also a JUMPER near the BATTERIES or SUPER CAPS that you can pull for a few seconds, then put it back, and that could put it back to default.

However, sometimes when the POWER FAILS, it's either due to, or causes a SURGE and that can damage the PROCESSOR.

Good Luck!

-merlinmansblog.blogspot.com

Thanks for all your help. I have already ordered a new processor. However, I will still be checking to see if I can reset the old one back to default. I have everything backed up on a pc via winspm. Is there any reason why I would still need a PCMCIA backup card? I have one from the Merlin Legend but never installed it onto the Merlin Magix.

YES YES YES you need the PCMCIA Back Up card, ABSOLUTELY!.

The restore process from the PCMCIA (Flash) card is MUCH FASTER than from the PC. The Flash card, if set up correctly, keeps track of ALL CHANGES, is EXTREMELY reliable and has saved my Butt a MILLION TIMES. Just make sure you have it set for WEEKLY, not DAILY.

MM....why weekly not daily on the PC backup settings????

well I removed the batteries for about 10 minutes and reinstalled the processor. It booted back up and the green F came on. However, when I tried accessing it using winspm I couldn't connect. Then eventually the red error light came back on. Tried removing the batteries again and resetting, but now its just the red light everytime. not too sure what happened or if I did something wrong. New processor should be in tomorrow.

What happened after the F? - did it go to C? (Or what did it do?)

I would pull the batteries ONE MORE TIME, and see if that helps)

Weekly rather than Daily: - WEEKLY - Every Sunday it backs itself up. - It was working FINE on Friday when you left. For what ever reason, it had a bad day on Saturday and ALL PROGRAMMING was lost, so it came up as totally DEFAULT. Sunday, it backs up the DEFAULT SETTINGS, and IT IS TOTALLY NOT WORKING Monday morning when you come in. HOWEVER, you can use the AUTO BACK UP FILE from the PREVIOUS SUNDAY, and all is good.

Weekly rather than Daily: - DAILY - Every DAY it backs itself up. It was working FINE on Friday when you left. For what ever reason, it had a bad day on Saturday and ALL PROGRAMMING was lost, so it came up as totally DEFAULT. SATURDAY, it backs up the DEFAULT SETTINGS, then on SUNDAY, it backs up the DEFAULT SETTINGS again, and IT IS TOTALLY NOT WORKING Monday morning when you come in. Because it only has 2 back up file locations, YOU ARE HOSED, and must re-translate from the start. (OR, hope you WINSPM can save you)

after it went to F I went and hooked up the cable for winspm. Saw I couldn't connect and went and checked it and there was nothing on the display, not even a red light. So I powered it down and then back up and that's when I got the red light. I tried 2 or 3 more times removing the batteries. Still just getting the red light. Hopefully the new processor will be in today. Just sucks we had to buy a new one.

Got the new processor. Installed. And still having the same problem. I dunno if the old merlin legend rack is damaged or what. I am kind of stumped right now. I tried cleaning the contacts and still have no luck. any suggestions?

Pull out ALL the cards except the processor. See if it comes up. If so, add back one card at a time.

With the processor alone and the power supply I still have the same problem. I think it may be the rack. I am completely stumped. Trying not to spend unneeded funding. I even had problems trying to get the old merlin legend to boot back up. Seems like something may be loose but I cant see or find anything. I even cleaned the terminals. I guess a new rack will be my next step. Still not sure how a power outage would cause all of this.

It might have something to do with the power supply. Either way, swap out the chassis and let us know what happens. Save the cover because replacement units that are being shipped at this point may not include one.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

Okay i got the new rack and everything. With just the processor in, i get an error that says WinSPM cannot recognize the circuit pack in slot 1. Would removing the battery have done anything? I know have 3 processors and a new power rack. Still not getting anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back