Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Magix advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbbikes

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2004
US
I am replacing a partner that is maxed out to 48 extensions with a Magix system.

Curently they have 9 lines and 48 extensions.

I am proposing

1 412 tdl card
1 800 GS/LS CL ID card
3 016 etr cards
1 016 analog port card

I will be upgrading the 34D partner phone with a 4424LD for programming. Using the 3 016 etr cards and re using the partner sets. Using the 412 tdl card for any new sets. The 016 analog card for modems faxes and any other analog sets. I will need two cabinets. Should i space the cards out over the 2 cabinets or go in order? Does this layout look good to you avaya gurus?

Thanks,

KB

The arrangement looks fine. What are you doing for voice mail??

How are you going to set up your phones? You might consider putting SA's on buttons 1, 2, 3, 6, and 7, which will make it more "Partnerish"

Desi1.jpg

Hi,

On Magix You must put cards from left to right, with NO spaces in between. I have not delt with the 016ETR cards in a while, but the first few years when they came out, there were a lot of bugs with them, especially with the caller ID being inop. If the partner phones they currently have are in fair/poor shape, I would suggest 44xx sets using 412 & 024 tdl cards.

Andre

Not only what AndrePa said, in my dealing with clients who upgraded from Partner to Legend/Magix and kept their Partner phones, they were more than a little bit disappointed.

As TTT said, the buttons map out in a weird fashion, and the lights do not work the same.

That is, on the Partner system, when the phone is idle, there are no led's lit up. In the Legend/Magix, there is a RED LED on at all times when the set is idle, due to idle line preference.

I also like the idea of 44XX sets, or the cheaper MLX sets, and doing away with the Partner phones.

I'll also cast my vote for upgrading phones from the Partner Euro to 44XX's.

Most Magix hardware is more affordable today than just a few years ago so unless budgets are extremely tight, a 100% upgrade might be the way to go.

Avaya retired the Merlin platform back in April 2006 [cry], but there is a ton of very high quality refurbished hardware now on the market. If you look hard enough, there is still some new stuff out there as well. [smile]

The 016 T/R and the Avaya Merlin Messaging (R4) tend to be in short supply so you may have to do some digging.

I as well as the customer am aware of the differences in button function and layout. It's what they need to do to move forward and expand their phone system and the business. Change comes at a price.

Thanks for all your comments. Tommy thank you for the button layout.

KB

I have done this a couple of times; the customers were OK with the Partner phones as Legend phones; the only issue I had was it seemed that the speakerphones were not as good on a Magix as they were on the Partner so we ended up putting in 1 MLX board and a couple of MLX phones. Don't forget that the top 6 ports on the ETR can also function at T/R as well...the only problem w/ that is you can only change from ETR to T/R when the system is idle which is difficult if the customer is very active on the phones.

Headsets as well, If any of the Partner Phones has a headset attached to it....sell them a TDL phone. The Headsets on the Partner used the T/R functionality of the Partner. These will not work on the Magix. You could buy "handset lifters", but this is not what they were used to. Just thought I would throw in my two cents.

I agree with jinxs, the Partner phones were NEVER designed for headset use and the work around sucks! MLX or TDL sets are the best solution if you need headsets.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back