Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAGIX 4.0 Keeps Crashing ??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joed7070

Vendor
Apr 1, 2002
Hi All,

I have a MAGIX in the field carded as shown below and at least once or twice a day, the whole thing goes down into a dead frozen type mode. There is no red warning light on the proc, the T1 card is still yellow (active) I don't recall what the mail did, but repowering it will bring it back up.

I had the power redone, dedicated circuit, killer UPS on it too. No help. The error log is clear also.

Could I have programmed anything strange on the PRI card that might cause such behavior? The t1 card is the only card in the 2nd carrier. Is it ok next to the power supply? These are metal carriers. I could swap it with the mail in cabinet 1 slot 5 with minimal programming.

Also, a couple of times when I try to remotely print the PRI info, the print feature kind of dies (from off site, transferred with *10), but when this happens the phone system does not crash.

Any ideas or knowledge of known problems or cards that should not be near each other, etc?

Slot 0: Processor CKE5 R4
Slot 1: 800 GS/LS
Slot 2: 412 TDL
Slot 3: 016 ETR
Slot 4: 016 ETR
Slot 5: Merlin Messaging 4 port R4

Slot 6: 100 DCD T1 configured PRI
7-11: Empty.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

If there are no power issues, there is no reason for the whole system to go down. You could try reseating all the cards, but more than likely, you are going to be replacing the processor.
I assume you know to power up the system with power on to cabinet 2 first,and cabinet 1 second.

Pepperz@charter.net

Hi Pepperz,

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I already replaced the processor and both ETR cards as well as flip flopping the power supplies. I reseated all cards.

I really think the PRI programming might have something to do with it, but I really don't know why. It's just that we had trouble getting the PRI up and changed various settings until it worked. Wondering if something was left incorrectly programmed. Also, it seems the only report I cannot print from off site when connected with a modem is the PRI info. Really weird. The system does work fine when it is up however. It's just the 1-2 times a day of locking up. Not sure if a buffer or something in the system is filling up, etc.

Thanks again!

Joe

There was an issue with having a 100DS1 in the first slot with the Legend. I have run into that before. I would have figured it would be fixed with the Magix, but I would swap it with slot 5 to see if that fixes it.

Does the whole system lock-up? or is it just the PRI that is locking up? Can you make internal calls? calls to voicemail?

The slot 1 issue in the Legend was only if the card was actually in the first slot (next to the processor). The legend software proir to R7V10 did not like Trunk 801 being a PRI trunk.

IT should be OK where it it But hey with the legend/magix proguct line you never really know

Hi all,

Yes the whole system locks up. In some cases if you are in the middle of a call, you can actually finish the call while everyone else is dead, and then upon hanging up your phone, you cannot place another call and join the ranks of the dead.

I am really thinking the T1 card is the issue, whether it is related to placement (slot 6) or just a bad card. I printed reports today of setup, error log, and extensions, with no trouble. As soon as I once again tried to print the PRI info, it just hung for 30 minutes until I finally broke the connection, which I had to do by disconnecting, I could not "back" out of the print progress as the F5 BACK also was frozen. Again, this only effects me and while I am having this trouble, the system is still up. When it crashes, it is on its own unrelated to my print requests.

I will visit the site in a few days and if no one here has any ideas further, I think I will replace the 100 DCD T1 card and swap it with the mail in slot 5 at the same time. I hope both variables will help as I am 150 miles away and hate to make repeated trips!

Thanks!

I've had multiple failures of ETR cards, where the entire system will go down. It would just keep trying to restart, the "C" would show on the processor, finally go out, and start all over. However, power cycling never brought it back.

I would suggest the following:

Busy out slots 3 4 5 & 6, power the system down, and then remove those cards. (Just slide them out a ways)

Then, bring it back up and see what happens.

If it works, restore and re-insert slot 3, and see what happens.

Keep doing this 'till you find the bad actor.

(I hope this will help)

Thanks Merlin Man. I will consider this, its just that the system may stay up most of a day before letting go and they will never let me leave it like this. Plus I am a distance away from the site. It is a great idea though. I just need to be closer and have a customer a little more willing to troubleshoot with me.

I think I am going for the 100DCD, swapping mail slot 5 with 100DCD slot 6 and changing the carriers. Crossing my fingers!

Thanks to all.

Is it getting HOT in the afternoon?

Do they have something on top of the carrier, like they are using it for a shelf?

IF it is dying only after being up all day, I would also suspect heat.

They are supposed to have at least a foot of clearance top and bottom at the very minimum.

Make sure that the common channel isn't programmed into the pool that your using for outcalling.

Hey guys, just so you all know....not really realitive to the forum but........the ETR cards prior to (I think) 12/03 had a reversed capasitor...causing board failure and god only knows what else. I saw mention of the ETR cards failing and thought I would add my two cents.

Thanks everyone for your input. To answer some of your questions, there is nothing blocking heat which I too am very aware of on these. The ETR card issue concerned me so I replaced them, but will check the dates just in case.

Ken1713 mentioned making sure the common channel is not in the pool. Do you mean the D chan? #24?

Thanks!

Joe

Funny You mention ETR016 cards! I had problems Merlin mail, drove Me nuts! I relpaced board ( 012T/R ) with a known good one, same problem ( MSG waiting lamps din't work, extension transfer worked intermitent ), a few days after that both transtalks, and all MLS phones stopped working.
I replaced 016ETR card, now Merlin mail, and extension transfer work fine now!
Do You know which capacitor was reversed on the 016ETR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back