Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Macs won't allow saving to removable drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegoPiMaster

Programmer
Apr 25, 2004
US
Our school's free use lab consists of iMacs running MacOS 9.2.2. We're locked out of almost anySometimes, when you try to write to a removable drive (usb, floppy, cd-burner) it says "You may not copy the selected items because you do not have enough access privileges" The librarian says she's re-enabled these priveleges many times, but the problem just keeps coming back. She cannot figure out what's causing it, and apparently the tech staff cannot either. It's starting to get really annoying, so if anyone knows how to fix this bug, please reply.

P.S. I've already suggested getting PCs and the school won't even get OSX (They actually removed it because "It would be too much of a learning curve"

P.P.S Transferring schools isn't much of an option either, though i've thought about it.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

echo `fortune fortunes`$'\b in bed.'
Your lover will never wish to leave you in bed.

Can the tech staff not really figure out the problem or are they just unwilling to loosen access because it could open the door for abuse? They may be making up stories. I would. [bigsmile]

What program are they using to secure the Macs?

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

No idea what program they're using, i think just the OS if that's possible (im not a mac user - i want to not kill myself) I think they honestly don't know why this is happenning - but how much time they've put into it i don't know. It's impossible to get tech to do anything at our school (example: I've been waiting three weeks to get <b>permission</b> to install Ad-Aware on one of the few PC's they have) (yeah our tech services suck - they've started a new crackdown that has all the teachers spooked so we're not allowed to do anything!)

I don't think they're trying to preserve security because it wouldn't help because the librarian has to come in and type the admin password for us so we can save stuff to floppies. Im no mac expert but i think on any system it's a good idea to type the admin pswd as little as possible -especially w/students around

I should emphasize that <u>sometimes</u> it allows us to save to removable drives but it randomly resets the permissions on them somehow and the librarian has to enable them again

... a moment of silence for the poor librarian (who supports upgrading to linux or atleast OSX)...

thank you

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

echo `fortune fortunes`$'\b in bed.'
Your lover will never wish to leave you in bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back