Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mac's accessing Win2K File Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

redman71

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2002
US
Hi
Is there a way to have Mac machines access a Win2K server automatically? Can I create a script on the server for them to have drives mapped like PC's? (like NET USE)?

THANKS

If your are using Mac OSX, try Samba (sourceforge.net) to enable Macs to read Windows networking file shares.

NT can offer appletalk services. I assume this carried over to Win2K.

Thanks. I'm running apple talk. The problem is not accessing the win2K files, it's mapping drives on the mac's so I don't have to go to APPLE - CHOOSER - APPLE TALK - and choose the server.

After going to the Chooser, you can make aliases to the shares on your desktop or choose 'connect at startup' (or something similar) in the Chooser so the shares appear without the Chooser whenever one boots.

What about in OSX? I haven't seen the option for 'connect on startup'

I am having the same problem...any luck with this yet? I would like my drives to be mounted at startup so i don't to connect each one manually.

Thanks,
Jim

You should be able to do this, but you'll have to authenticate - unless you want itall to run as guest.

In OS X, you have to mount the drives, then go to system prefs>login items. Then you can drag and drop the mounted server into the login items window. Make sure the check box is clicked, and it will mount on restart.

It will mount, but it's best practice if you force it to prompt for a password by Apple K'ing.

I use win2k server and max os X.
I have a shared folder that windows client and mac os x can share it. (smb for max os x)
problem is when I create or copy anyfile from mac os x, it will create extra files (such as ._filename.txt) so, the folder contains filename.txt and ._filenamet.txt.
It is okay as long as both mac ans windows client can access that file.
but when I create file from windows client, it doesn't create ._filename.txt. problem is mac user cannot see that file.
any idea?

A couple of points relating to OS X which aren't covered here:

Using an alias in "Login Items" only works for AppleShare (and possibly NFS) volumes. I.e. if you mount via Samba (SMB) it won't work.

A workaround is to use an AppleScript similar to below

Code:
tell application "Finder"

mount volume "smb://server/share" as user name "username"

end tell

I haven't worked out how to get it to open a subdirectory directly, i.e. without doing the above step first (it worked via an alias in OS 9) but it should be possible with AppleScript too (suggestions, anyone?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back