Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Macros in Word 2003 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2003
GB
I've just upgraded to Office 2003 and everytime I open or create any Word doc, I get:

"The macros in this project are disabled . .. "

I've tried changing the security to lower but then I just get a popup box asking if I want to enable or disable them.

I never use macros so why does this message popup all the time.

Simon

Hi Simon,

This sounds as if the template file which is being used has at one time contained or still does contain macros.

Try creating a new template and see if that works.

Phil.

Also, check Tools > Templates and Addins. See if there is ANYTHING loaded there. A number of addins and third party software stick macros/templates into Word Startup Adobe Distiller for one.

Also, check for any COM Addins. By default, COM Addins are not shown under Tools. You have to put that menu items into the menu. See Help.

Gerry
See my Paintings and Sculpture

Hi Gerry,

I have PDFMaker.dot which I assume is Acrobat - could it be that?

How can I get around this problem (without setting the security as low - or is this acceptable?)

Cheers

Simon

Yes. There are a LOT of known problems with PDFMaker and Word. Try using Search on this site, there are number of threads. Also do a search on microsoft. Unless you really need it...dump it. Of course you may need the PDFMaker more than you need Word.

One work around may be to remove PDFMaker.dot from Startup - so it does not load every time. Move it to another folder, and when you need it load it using Templates and Addins. When you are done, unload it.

This is not a real solution, but it may work for you. Unfortunately PDFMaker LEAVES stuff around that interfers with the operation of Word.

Gerry
See my Paintings and Sculpture

Hi Simon,

I second all that Gerry says. You would think that Acrobat could have got their act together but they have consistently failed to integrate properly into Word.

There are a couple of things you can do. One solution which I don't personally like but which is 'safe' and should sort your issue is to trust Adobe.

Alternatively, if you are the only user of the computer you can put PDFMaker.dot in your own startup folder which is implicitly trusted. It is installed in the 'system' startup folder - (Office Installation Root)\Office11\Startup. If you move it to your 'user' startup folder (see Tools > Options > File Locations) - default location is Documents and Settings\(userid)\Application data\microsoft\Word\startup - the prompts and warnings should go away.

It is not a good idea to set security to low.

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at VBAExpress[

Thanks folks,

Tried moving the pdfmaker.dot from office10/ and office11/ but got the same problem.

Tried deleting it all together and still got the same issue.

. .. and Adobe Systems Incorporated is already in my Prior Trusted Sources.

Does this mean it's not the PDFMaker and it could be something else!?

Cheers

Simon

Sounds like it's something else.

When you get the message saying "This project contains macros", does it not name the project at the top of the message box?

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

Hi Simon,

The message saying "The macros in this project are disabled ..." says "Microsoft Visual Basic" on the Title Bar - is that what you mean?

If you set security to medium and then, on start up, get the prompt as to whether to enable or disable macros - what does that box (Title Bar says "Security Warning") say at the top?

Enjoy,
Tony

Ah!

Sorry Tony :)

That says:

. . . Office11/startup/wfwrd2k.dot

how strange?

Hi Simon,

So that's the template (in the startup folder) that's causing the problem - is it WinFax? Whatever it is it looks like a 2K version of something that may not work with 2K3. Try moving it out of the startup folder to start with.

Enjoy,
Tony

Great stuff Tony - that did the job.

I do have winfax and even after moving the file it still works.

Thanks again for your excellent advice today :)

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back