Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Macros in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatalExceptionError

Technical User
Apr 10, 2001
US
I know how to open the VB Editor
can someone tell me what im supposed to do after that.
I mean along the lines of how do i select the cells to put the macro in and how to select the cells that i want to use.

Basically i have several columns thousands of lines long that i need to count for 1 of several strings in cells
i.e. "planning" "construction" etc If cats always land on their feet
and Toast always lands buttered side up
What happens if you tape toast, buttered side up on a cat's back??????

You probably don't want to try to write the macro yourself in the VBeditor. You need to find out what you need to do, then record those steps after you start running the macro.

By the way, if you tape toast, buttered side up on a cat's back then if the cat landed on its feet the buttered side of the toast would also be up.

What would happen if you taped toast, buttered side down to a cat's back.....then the only way for the toast to land buttered side up would be for the cat to land on its back.

I am a little confused about the part where you say I need to record what I need to do. If cats always land on their feet
and Toast always lands buttered side up
What happens if you tape toast, buttered side up on a cat's back??????

I assume you're doing a Macro in Excel. If you are, the idea of a Macro in Excel is that you go through and make changes or actually do things to a spreadsheet or multiple spreadsheets and then stop the Macro once you're done. Then you can repeat the steps by just running the macro.

You can write the code for it, but why would you when you can just point and click?

I would approach this using the subtotal function and filtering the list either with Autofilter or advanced filters. However this solution would count a row once only irrespective of how many times the text appears in the row or how many of the searched for words were used in the row. If that is what you want then I will elaborate further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back