Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

macro to control printer settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee0612

Technical User
May 2, 2005
GB
Hi,

I need a macro that changes an active documents print settings for MS Word 97 so that the following is selected:

- 1 sided printing
- Page 1 Tray 1
- Page 2 Tray 2
- Page 3+ Tray 4

Is this possible?

thanks

Hi,

Only way I know is to set up 4 printer profile names.

Macro record changing printer names.

Make a print macro that then prints the way you want.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red] Coeds studying ancient Egyptian plumbing, might be known as...
Pharaoh Faucet Majors [tongue][/sub]

Thanks for the reply, the macro only records the change in printer name, it doesn't record the settings I want above :-(

I know!

That's why I stated to set up separate print profile names!!!

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red] Coeds studying ancient Egyptian plumbing, might be known as...

The easy way is to install the printer as many times as you need different settings, giving names to the drivers that reflect the setting. For example, LJ4100Dx and LJ4100DftDx. Make one the windows default. Then right click on each instance of the driver and set up how you want the printing run.

Now open Word or Excel to write or record a macro that switches printer driver, prints and then reverts back to the default printer.

Add this as a second print button onto the toolbar next to the standard print button. The user now prints by clicking on the appropriate button. The original button will print to the Windows Default and the new button to other setting.

If you have loads of settings that cover colour, simplex, duplex, draft, quantity and quality, instead of having loads of buttons, you can have a drop down list for the user to select the appropriate printer.

It may sound complex but it really is easy.

Regards: tf1

tf1 has just described, in painful detail, creating printer profiles.

Skip,
[sub]

Skip

Painful detail but as you and I now, its easy peasy!

tf

Regards: tf1

EZ as fallin' off a waggon! ;-)

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back