Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Macro issue in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelsea7

Programmer
Aug 25, 2008
US
I'm having an issue in VBA. I have macros that have been working fine in MS Excel 2010. However, when I made minor changes such as change the path of a file location which I used MS Excel 2013, then ran it back on another computer with 2010, it worked for a little while. But now I receive errors when the macros are ran. The error reads Can't load DLL. I'm not sure what it's referring to. When it attempts to repair it reads that it's not recoverable. When I look at the macros, all the names changed such as macro 1, macro2, etc. instead of the actual names that were created. Why could this be happening? Where can I look to find the error? Is there something like a code analyzer that I can run?

Please advise.
Thank you so much.
Kyle

Can't load DLL" usually means you have lost a reference to stuff that VBA needs to execute your macros. Is there more to the message? You may need to reload Excel 2010.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

How are ya Chelsea7

Out of curiosity, in each XL version where you made the changes, did you compile first?

See Ya . . .

Be sure to see FAQ219-2884 Worthy Reading! [thumbsup2]
Also FAQ181-2886 Worthy Reading! [thumbsup2]

Hello TheAceMan1 and everyone else.
No, I haven't compiled first. I never went into much VBA in Excel. Funny though, when I was in school for VBA, I knew better to compile first. I guess It can compile under the version and computer that it's currently on. I let you know the results.

Hello,

What happened is that I used a later version of MS Office (2013) on my pc to revise the macros. Then I attempted to run it on the network at my job which is using 2010. The DLL, that is was looking for was pointing to a directory on the C: drive that didn't exist at work. I tried to uncheck it in References under the VBA module where it read 'missing'. But no matter how many times I unchecked it and checked off the correct one, that box 'missing', ends up being checked off again. I tried to create a folder and move the missing DLL file to it, to satisfy and correct the error. However, I needed Admin rights to the Root directory which I do not have. As a resolution, I used an old existing file already on the computer at work and modified the code manually and moved whatever tabs that were needed to that one. Now it works okay. My lesson learned, leave the projects to be done at work.

Thanks for your assistance

Alternatively install the work version on a VM. My setup is the other way round - I have 2010 at home and 2013 at work so I just use 2013 in a VM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back