Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MacOS X Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank668

Technical User
Oct 21, 2002
CA
Hi, I got some kind of weird problem. Here's the details:

I got one company, two independant buildings into two different cities. The network between them is assured by a fast private ISDN connection.

I got a MacOS X user that, into the main building (where all the servers are), let's say Building A, connects to the network. Everything goes like it should be. The user is able to access the network using his login name and he is able to view and use the domain. He is also able to connect to the internet.

Now that user moves to the other building (using a Laptop). He is still able to connect to the Internet, but he is unable to connect or even view the content of the domain. He is able to ping the main server (using the IP, but not using the Name). On my side, from the server, I am able to ping his machine (delay 15ms), but I am unable to see it into the domain.

Thanks for your help.

-Frank

His version is MacOS X 10.2.6.

What kind of domain are you talking about here? Any why are you asking in the Unix forum?

Annihilannic.

I asked in the UNIX forum because MacOS X is basically a «version» of UNIX O.S...

The domain is a Windows 2000 domain.

Thanks, Frank.

What software are you using to talk with the domain? Samba?

Wow! A Macintosh running Unix using Windows for authentication! Never thought I'd see that happen! Must be a sign of the apocalypse!

Can anyone else at the other building log onto the domain? If not, the routers on the DSL connection might not be routing all protocols and ports that a Windows domain needs to work.

Can the user telnet from the other building to the main building? That would at least confirm that TCP/IP is configured correctly on the Mac. A ping just confirms that there's a path to the server, not that any other protocol can reach it. Pings often get passed where other protocols get blocked.

Are you using DHCP for the Mac's IP configuration? If not, you may have trouble if each location is a different subnet. If you have a hard coded ip address and subnet mask on the Mac, it may work fine at one location and not at another.

Well, anyway, I don't know anything about MacOS X, so I'm just tossing out some ideas. Hope it helps.

To answer your question:

-----------------
QUOTE: Can anyone else at the other building log onto the domain? If not, the routers on the DSL connection might not be routing all protocols and ports that a Windows domain needs to work.

ANSWER: Yes, all the PC's into that building have an access to the internet and to the main servers shares.
-----------------

-----------------
Can the user telnet from the other building to the main building? That would at least confirm that TCP/IP is configured correctly on the Mac. A ping just confirms that there's a path to the server, not that any other protocol can reach it. Pings often get passed where other protocols
get blocked.

ANSWER: The internet is working correctly on the Mac. It just can't see the server shares and is unable to connect to the main UNIX server in the other building. The ping works fine if it is pointed to the main server too.
-----------------

-----------------
QUOTE:Are you using DHCP for the Mac's IP configuration? If not, you may have trouble if each location is a different subnet. If you have a hard coded ip address and subnet mask on the Mac, it may work fine at one location and not at another.

ANSWER:I have tried both ways, DHCP and Static IP, but both gives me the same result. DHCP is OK and Ping passes! Note: The main server hosts the DHCP Server!
-----------------

Thanks!

-Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back