Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Macola and windows xp sp2

Status
Not open for further replies.

v1sion

Technical User
Mar 4, 2004
CA
I am a new user to macola, we are using an old versoin of macola, in ERS, some queries return a screen and others lock up. I think they are using macola 70, and the pervasive 2000 7.8 build.

in the debugger the connection is made etc.. just the print screen hangs.

is there any thing I can start to look at? Again I am new to it, so please excuse the ignorance

I believe this is a problem with the version you are running. 7.0 and the pervasive 2000 I believe are not supported and have problems on xP.

Could be wrong but I believe you may have to run Win2k to get this version running.

PS Why the old version?

Andy Baldwin

"Testing is the most overlooked programming language on the books!"

Ask a great question, get a great answer. Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.
Find out how to get great answers FAQ219-2884.

sorry to be unclear the clients are running xp sp2 and th eserver is novell. Is there settings in IE 6 that could be giving problems?

some clients do not have this issue and others do, wondering if there are security settings that could be blocking the rendering of the data to the desktop.

Why would IE6 or any other version of IE be an issue? You are not using a browser to view Macola data, correct?

Also please confirm your version of Macola by clicking on help, about progression. I sincerely doubt you are on version 7.0x.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"If you have a big enough dictionary, just about everything is a word"
--Dave Barry

Check Anti-Virus settings between the workstations, looking for variances. Also, check your Windows firewall settings.

It is actually ERS that is causing the problem. When running a report some queries are hanging,
it is having problems rendering the data to the screen when a query has to gather alot of data.

Macola-7.5103f

v1sion:

Are you sure it is actually hanging?

I run an old version of Macola 7.5.102e and run reports in Crystal. Some reports (especially on OEHDRHST and OELINHST) can take a long, long time to run. Have you tried running a report before you go home and checking in the morning?

The ERS report returns data to the screen on another pc in about 15 seconds. Is there nay security in xp sp2 that could stop this from running?

no firewall, diabled mcafee, etc..

both pcs are running xp sp2, half are ok the other half are not. Brand new installs have this problem, we are replacing the old xp sp2 pc's with new ones, but the new one's are the ones having the problem.
Does ers need crystal to run reports? I was told no.

Application exception occurred:
App: M:\Macola70\W32MKDE.EXE (pid=3424)
When: 3/29/2007 @ 14:55:52.127
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

*** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for M:\Macola70\W32MKDE.EXE
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for M:\Macola70\W32MKDE.EXE
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.

** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSI.DLL -

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll -
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for c:\WINDOWS\system32\FM20.DLL -

If you're running Pervasive SQL 2000, the file: App: M:\Macola70\W32MKDE.EXE should not be there. There should be no btrieve components in the Macola root directory. When there is no one in Macola, and the Users directory is empty, run renbtdll.exe, which is found in the Macola root directory. It should rename at most 52 files.

All workstations need the Pervasive SQL 2000 client. The Pervasive SQL 2000 transactional engine needs to be running on the server.

Be advised, this is one of those things that could take a little while to work out, if there are btrieve components all over the place. In other words, running renbtdll.exe could make is so that all users launching Macola receive a btrieve not loaded message until you get all the btrieve components in the right place. There should be none in the Macola shared folder, or any of its sub-directories.

If you have a support contract, you may want someone from systems support on the line while you do this, just to ensure that the errant files are found as quickly as possible. If you have a reseller, you may want them involved. I'm just cautioning this because if you don't know all the files you're looking for (52 of them -- and they can be in multiple places -- meaning more than 52 files) this can get real ugly before things start working right.

thanks
I did not set this up, but i spoke to someone who did. I was told that we should use the btr odbc, is this not correct?

also is there a way to increase the bufffer for odbc? small queries run, large ones hang the app.

I'm not that familiar with ERS, but you should be able to use the Pervasive ODBC without issue because Pervasive is btrieve (after btrieve 6.15, it was acquired by Pervasive who released Pervasive SQL 7).

There is a btrieve 6.15 utility to control parameters such as that, but for the life of me, I can't remember it's name. It's been years since I looked at Macola. I'm somewhat frightened that I can still remember all this. In Pervasive SQL 2000, it is the Pervasive Control Center.

It is still in your best interest, however, to remove all the unnecessary btrieve 6.15 components if the client is running P.SQL 2000. I have found that Macola is quicker on P.SQL 2000 than btrieve 6.15, and database errors are easier to troubleshoot. YMMV.

File monitor showed that macola ERS works on new computers – it communicates with database and creates rtf code with report in Windows temp folder, but after that does not know what to do and hangs.

First off, yes this answer is posted twice on two different issues today. This is not a mistake.

This may be related to a problem with the number of "ephmeral ports" in Windows 2000 and XP. By default the number of ports is 5000, but this may not be enough with a legacy application that requires database access to several tables. To fix this issue you should increase the number of "ephemeral ports". The instructions are listed below.

1. Run regedit
2. Navigate to "Hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters"
3. Create New Dword by name of "MaxUserPort"
4. Double click MaxUserPort, select Decimal, and set the value data to 15000
5. Create New Dword by name of "TcpTimedWaitDelay"
6. Double click TcpTimedWaitDelay, select Decimal, and set value data to 30
7. After making all registry changes reboot to apply the settings

Scott Travis

did not work

ERS is a component of Macola
we did trace, all the data is dumped to the temp folder, it hangs on rendering the data to the rtf viewer. is there any windows security settings that could be preventing this? it does work on other pc's, just not imaged pc's. We looked at security settings and they are identical. (local security policy etc..)

any help or issues that are the same are aprreciated. thanks everyone for their time

I have a further question or two... so it only works on PCs that have been imaged from a source PC, correct? Has that source PC been used in production, and can it run ERS successfully?

the pc's it has been working on are built from cd

the one's htat do not are from a RIS image

is there any windows security that could be blocking the app from launching the RTF veiwer from temp?

What are the registry permissions on macola, pervasive, odbc, and (I can't remember anymore) any references to ERS set so that everyone has full permissions? Also, the users need rights in the windows temp folder to write & modify on the local workstation. Are the users of the PCs part of the local administrator group on the workstation? What are the settings in your macsetup.cfg in the macola root directory on the server? If memory serves, even if you are psql with both the relational and transactional services (or nlms for netware) running, you had to set the sql server setting to local. You should be able to increase the amount of cache allowed for pervasive processing on the server, but it sounds like it is a workstation issue if some PCs produce the report in 15 seconds and others hang.

Are you still having this problem? I see your post is a couple of weeks old. I'll see if I can put my brain around this if you still need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back