Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Macintosh Client Add In 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnt25

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2003
US
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if there were any add in tools for Macintosh computers for SMS 2003. We have about 150 that we would like SMS to manage but I found that in the deployment,planning and concepts guide the Macintosh is not supported out of the box. Does anyone know any work arounds to this or an add on tool.

Thanks,
Matt

From the webcasts and microsoft presentations I have seen, Mac is not going to be supported natively. Another vendor is working on an add-in, but MS wouldn't tell me who.

m

I included some Mac into my SMS site. I wrote a vbs script in order to generate the DDR files and I created inventory mif file manually. I know, it's boring but you can increase the process with some supplementary scripting.
The object for the DDR scripting can be found into the ADSync package and here a good documentation:
Contact me if you want more informations,
PAP

Hey Pap,

How many MACS are managing in SMS 2003? Are you pushing out software to these machines (we need to get inventoru and distribute software).

It appears that the ADSync package only creates a DDR and will not collect detailed hardware/software inventory information or support distribution. Does this mean that the client agent will not be installed on the MACS?

I appreciate your reply and any further feedback you could provide!

Thanks so much,
Matt

Matt,
I'm managing only about 10 Macs. The solution is very basic: all the datas are collected manually and then I create DDRs and inventory MIFs.
There is no client agent on the Macs. It's not supported. So, software distribution and remote controle are not available.
The goal is only to have the Macs included into the SMS database for the calculation of the costs in my company.
I've made many researches, but I didn't find any 3rd party MAC client for SMS.

Hey Rod,

Thanks for your reply! I recently evaluated Altiris' Inventory Solution for the Macintosh platform. I've configured it to forward inventory to the SMS site server. Its a simple configuration but I've noticed that all inventory is placed in the BADMIF folder on the SMS site server. I've read a few posts on Altiris regarding this issue. I will be contacting them shortly to determine a workaround.

While Atiris does offer an inventory solution for my Macintosh machines (if I get it working correctly), it does not support Software Distribution.

I am not sure what to do regrading software deployment as I cannot locate a single solution that fits all the requirements. The only one I've located is LANDesk but we are moving away from this.

Would you be able to tell me the "other" vendors currently working on this?

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Matt

Hello Again,

I wanted to know if anyone has used the proudct suite Netopia and what their experience has been with it. I am looking to integrate this with SMS 2003 for my Macintosh platform. Any feedback would be excellent!
Thanks,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back