Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Macintosh and APIPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mondy

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
US
I have a cable modem connection and I have a PC running XP and a MAC running OSX. Before I got my MAC I used to have only the PC and when I could not access the Internet I would check my IP and get a 169.254.x.x address. I would then unplug the coax to my cable modem and see if I could pull a 192 address from the modem. This would confirm that TCP/IP was working fine and that the problem was no DHCP response. Now that I own a MAC I try to do the same thing but no matter what I do I still get a 169 IP.

Now for my question.... why won't my MAC pull a 192 address from my cable modem? Does APIPA figure into this at all?

OK some terminology:
Mac (not an acronym, short for Macintosh)
MAC (Media Access Controller, for reasons that should be obvious, while everyone else calls this a MAC address Apple calls it the Hardware Address)

My ISP only allows one device on a cable modem, I have to registermy MAC address with them to get online, if I change devices I need to reregister my new MAC address.

So if I had more than one computer I wanted online, I would get a router and register it's MAC address (if the router allows cloning a MAC address you can clone the PC's MAC address and not have to reregister with the ISP) with the ISP then put all the computers behind a router.

On the Mac, check the TCP control panel to be sure it is using DHCP

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Actually my cable modem provider doesn't require that I register my MAC address. It's done through the modem or their router, I guess. So, if I don't have to register my hardware address, then why doesn't my Macintosh pull a 192 address from the modem like my PC does?

True... I believe there is an issue with a system ID that is registered when setting up the CM... the a cable modem with a router is the easiest solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back