Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machines dont show in Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevstar

Programmer
Nov 21, 2001
GB
Every now and then some machines on my network lose the list of machines under the Domain in windows Explorer and My Network Places. If I type \\machine name in the address bar, the machine then appears under the Domain name and I can connect to it.

This happens at random times on random machines. The only way to cure it and this does not always work is to restart the machine.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did they overcome this problem. By the way I am using Active Directory.

Thanks for your help
Kev

Did you try hitting View, Refresh in Network Places?

yea, this has no effect on it either.

It has really confused me!!!

If you are depending solely on Netbios for Name resolution (no local DNS server with registration) then you have to live with it.

It can take 15 minutes to 45 minutes for a Master Browser table to fully reflect a change in status of a workstation.

No, am using TCP/IP only and the DNS server is a local Domain Controller which has got the root.hint files installed so clients can access the internet.

Check that Dynamic registration is turned on for the DNS server.

Check that under TCP/IP Properties, Advanced, DNS tab, the feature is enabled for all clients.

Check that the only DNS entry for the clients is your local server and not your ISP's DNS server.

Let me expand on this a bit.

1. Ensure DNS server on win2k is configured to permit dynamic updates. Ensure the win2k server points to itself as a DNS server using 127.0.0.1 as the DNS address.

2. For external (internet) name resolution, specify your ISP's DNS server not on the clients, but in the forwarders tab of the local Win2k DNS server. On the DNS server, if you cannot access the 'Forwarders' and 'Root Hints' tabs because they are greyed out, that is because there is a root zone (".") present on the DNS server. You MUST delete this root zone to permit the server to forward unresolved queries to yout ISP or the root servers. Accept any nags etc, and let it delete any corresponding reverse lookup zones if it asks.

The following articles may assist you in setting up DNS correctly:

Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

HOW TO: Configure DNS for Internet Access in Windows 2000

OK thanks for those, will have a look and post back

Sorry it has taken me a little while to reply. I have not been on site to try these solutions. I tried to make the necessary changes on the DNS server.

At the moment the DNS server points to it's own IP address. Although this produces errors in the log, the DNS server seems to work OK. I tried to update this to the address that was suggested (127.0.0.1) but my DNS server tells me that I cannot update to a 127.* address as these are reserved for loopback addresses. How do I overcome this problem?

thanks for all your help

Kev

In Device Manger, remove the Microsoft Loopback adapter. It will be listed under Network Adapters. It is possible there is a third-party adapter instead of the MS one. It should clearly be labelled under Device Manager as a Loopback Adapter.

And who in heck left that in there on a Win2k Domain Controller?

OK will have a look.

I assume from your last comment that it is not a good idea having the adapter left in there on a Domain Controller. The guy that installed all this has left now, so I have been dumped in the deep end. WHy is this not a good idea?

SOrry to be so thick!

One installs the loopback adapter to test and use NET commands. Once the server is up and running, remove the adapter.

It has a valid purpose for testing in the absence of a network; it is unnecessary to keep it, and is a potential problem (such as yours), when you have a valid network.

There are good reasons it is not installed by default. It has a valid purpose, but not in your setting.

Bill

OK, have had another look!!

Regarding changing the DNS IP address to 127.0.0.1 on my server. I have tried to remove the Microsoft Loopback adapter, but it is not there!

I selected the option to view hidden objects in the device manager and the list below shows what was present under the Network adapters in the correct order.

Direct Parallel
Netelligent 10/100TX PCI Embedded UTP Coax Controller
RAS Async Adapter
WAN Miniport (IP)
WAN Miniport (L2TP)
WAN Miniport (PPTP)

but I still cant change the IP address in the network settings as it comes up with the error "cannot update to a 127.* address as these are reserved for loopback addresses"

Thanks for all your help. Am learning a lot as I try and solve this one!!

Kev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back