Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machine switching off for unknown reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

manikm

Technical User
Mar 29, 2001
GB
I have an Asus deluxe a87nx with 1 gig memory, and a Leadtek 5900 FX graphics card (which takes 2 ide power intakes)

_ttp://
_ttp://
When im doing encoding from XVid to DVD - my machine shuts down after a few minutes...

Sometimes it shutsdown a few mins from starting up - i am puzzled as to whats causing it...the temp is ok, so its not overheating...

I suspect the RAM, or the Graphics card.

Any other ideas guys!?

Thanks!

Can you confirm if Shutdown (and power off) or reboots? Have to ask as some people often say one thing and mean the other.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

And jus to be sure, check BIOS settings for the CPU shutdown temp. It cud be that u have set it up too low and it might be causing the system to shutdown without your intervene.

Jus curious : is this the regular shutdown, as in what u get when u select start->Turn off Computer or is it an abrupt powerdown ?

Hi there,

Thanks guys.

Its an ABRUPT power down ....SHHOOOOOOOOON!

;)

Tonight - Im gonna try one memory module at a time....and see what happens....

My PC has shut down twice this week and would not power back on. Resetting the CMOS fixed it both times (I suspect I'm going to need a new battery or MOBO this week).

ahhh thats something else i must add.....when it switches off - i cannot power it on again, UNLESS i pull the power supply connector to the motherboard out and push it back in.....

Look around on your board for swelling capacitors. Im thinking you have a motherboard going bad.

You should also take a look of my thread ...

It is called Asus P4C800 crash, it is maybe possible that we have the same problem, even if some same issues does not automatically mean same problem, and I have made some tests. Who knows maybe it could help you or give you an other point of view ...

I also suspect that my Graphic card is responsable even if I do not know for now the real reason whatfor my PC crashes. I am also going to post the solution there if I find it ^^

Good luck :)

Csab

Yes I am a MAC lover, and so what :)

manikm, you mentioned having to pull the power supply connector to the motherboard off and put it back again.
I think that tells us its some sort of power issue. Perhaps your power supply is faulty.
Do you have another power supply that you can try in this unit of yours?
What are the make, model and specs of your power supply and how old is it?

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

hmm, well i thought that.

i am running 4 hard disks, 2 cdroms, and my gfx card requires 2 IDE power connectors.

also, sometimes the in built speak diags - says random things, "system failed memory tes"t - or system failed due to cpu overclocking.

but i read a few people had this, but ignored it.

I was thinking of ram as well but wanted to check out the specs on your power supply first. I think you should post the specs on your power supply.

As for the ram, you can download memtest86 here:
You have to test one stick of ram at a time.
Let us know about the results of the ram test.

I suspect its either the power supply or the ram.

thanks mate - will give that a go.

im sure my PSU is a Q-Tec or Q-tek - 550 watt.

but will check when im home.

thanks for your generous advice.

PS what about random AUDIO diagnostics on POST...

safe to ignore, somtimes says, its passed, sometimes says its failed. dam thing, im defo gonna do a bios update tonight also.

I'd say that ram or power supply issues are more important and more likely to cause the system to fail and shutdown, but i imagine audio could do it as well.
Seems like we are uncovering quite a few issues, lol.
I would say stick with the ram and power supply for right now. You could even go to dev mgr and temporarily disable sound while you are testing the ram and power supply.
You can test the power supply if you have a digital or analog tester. You have to test each rail, though, so its a bit tricky. You can either google that info or go to techrepublic.com as i know there is a very good tutorial there showing, with diagrams, how to test your power supply properly and test all the different voltages (rails as they are called). You do have to sign up but they never contact you and its a good second source of info.

I have the same problem manikm.

I hope I'm not hijzcking your thread.. if so, tell me and I'll start another thread ;)

My computer was working fine till yesterday.
He just power off by itself while using it.
I pressed the start button but nothing happened.
I had another old power supply so I decided to replace it just to check.
The computer started and then after few clicks powered off like before.

From then, I switched power supplies (those 2) several times and my computer never wanted to start again.. nothing happen when I press the start button.
I have a LED on my motherboard which is lit when in plug in my computer but nothing at all happen when I try to switch it on.
I think it may come from the power supply but I would like to have an expert point of view about that.

both power supplies are 240Watts.
My motherboard is an ASUS A7V333X with a GFX 5500 graphic card, a 120G maxtor HD + CD reader + floppy disc.

Thx ;)

Djazia

Just to update everyone...

I fixed the problem last night.

It was the CPU overheating!

It turns out that ASUS motherboards, have something called C.O.P (cpu over-ride protection) i think - do a google search. (its hardware embedded, and cannot be worked around - this is to safe guard your equipment its something AMD ATHLON and ASUS worked on together and only applieds to ATHLON XP CPUs i think)

I installed ASUS probe (ASUS monitoring software), and noticed my machine was idle at 55 degrees celcius, but as soon as i started encoding video, it rose to 68c and then SHOOOOOOOOOOOOSH, power down.

I tried hoovering the dust out from the heat sink, but the same problem occured.

I tried leaving the side panel off, which helped, but it still shut down, albeit after a bit longer than with the side of the case on.

I remember that i had a massive THERMALTAKE heat sink with a big MOTHER fan on it somewhere......i found it, and installed it (luckily i had some thermal paste)

This too had dust under the fan - which i hoovered out.

When i fitted it, and turned it on - VOLIA!!! - 32 degrees reported in BIOS! when in Windows, its about 35 - BUT the good news is that that computer is now happy WHEN ENCODING at just 36 degress celcius - almost half the temp of before....

I'm a happy bunny - thanks for all your help.

(shame its now noisy - but i can cope with that knowing its stable)

I hope its now fixed - fingers crossed anyway.

THANKS for all your help.

First off you should be using a 450 watt power supply or bigger. Second if you have the 4 power pin connector on your motherboard be sure it is connected. Make sure that is connected and you really should get a bigger power supply, most boards require a 350 watt power suppy minnimum.

Er, all sorted now as i explained, but thanks for that.
The PSU is 550 watter, but this wasn't the problem anyway.

Oh sorry must have missed that as I was posting my bad. Happens sometimes when theres alot of threads lol. Once again sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back