Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

machine speed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
hi aix/perts,

i'm working on different RS6k models and wondering the exact command to get processor/machine speed. i can see it while booting before loggin in. anywhere else?

note: sorry - i put it in thread52-187313

There is no command. The best method to get this honestly, is know the machine you are working on. I'm sure if you check the FAQ section and do a search you can find a script that can determine the CPU architecture.

If you can't find it, go to

and do a search there. There are several scripts floating around the Internet that deal with getting CPU configurations and telling you what they are.

However, if you are the AIX Administrator, there is no substitution for simply knowing the configuration of your hardware. This includes memory sizes, adapter cards, etc. Get a copy of Visio and create diagrams. I have layed out my data center floor down to individual tiles in Visio. I know exactly where everything is on the floor. Do the same with adapter cards.

Know the RS/6000 product line. Keep marketing information. It is useful for this kind of information.

If you are a newbie, use the scripts floating around to gather the information you need, but then make it usable by storing it somewhere in an easy to retrieve/read/interpret format. As I said, Visio, Excel, Access, Oracle, Word, Wordperfect, QuattroPro - all of these can be used to store the machine configs in formats to make retrieval easy.

Lastly, don't focus on CPU speed alone. That is what vendors like Intel want you to do. There are many, many, many factors that go into making a fast computer. CPU speed is not the only one.

Thanks, Bill.

johny,

bill's right. go to the main IBM:AIX page, click on search and search for speed. There are at least two postings out there on finding what the CPU speed is for your system.

He's also right that once you get the info, you should write it down somewhere, along with a lot of other information about your system. You can use some of the scripts with cron to run them regularly and send the output to the system it is run on and to another system. I run a script that gives me just about everything that would be needed to put a system back together. Having drawings of your systems and other information (like VGs, LVs, filesystems, etc.) is invaluable when something goes wrong.

And he's right about not focusing on CPU speed alone. Even among different platforms of unix, I've seen difference in performance even though the CPU speeds were similar.

thanks to you -2.

i'll try to look for the script.

the reason why i need such "info" is that some of the installations are old, dial-up away and feedback from the console was given to me by non-tech staff of possible company cient.

also, thanks for the housekeeping tip.

johny,

if you post your email, I'll send you what I have.

You can determine the CPU speed and model of RS6000's by using the lscfg command.

Information on how to do this can be found on

e.g. on an F50 series

lscfg -vp | more

search on ZC - this should take you to the Processor stanza and the PS flag will enable you to determine the speed (ours is 0009E4F580 = 166 Mhz)

I'm not waving, I'm Drowning

oqurum,

Thanks a lot!

This commands works...but i believe only for PCI and not MCA architecture in the sense of really getting (ZC/PS) values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back