Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machine Reboots on CD Write

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHiD

Vendor
Oct 22, 2003
GB
I am running a PII 450MHz with 256Mb Ram and 20Gb HDD. I have a Yamaha 8x4x24 CDRW installed along with a Memorex 52xCDROM. I am running XP Pro.

When I try to write a CD the machine reboots. There are no error messages, it just behaves as if the reset button has been switched. On restart the error message says that the machine could not read from the hard drive.

I have replaced the HDD twice, reformatted and reinstalled XP. The only success I had was after a reinstall when I decided not to connect the CDROM and with just the CDRW installed the machine worked fine. When I reconnected the CDROM the problem started again. Disconnecting the CDROM has not helped so I am back at the beginning.

I have also updated the CDRWs Firmware with the manufacturer's latest release.

The reboots occur when writing using media player and Nero and usually happen once the drive has actually started writing to the disc. Visual examination of the disc shows that some writing has taken place, the discs still show as being blank.

Any ideas?

TIA

CHiD

Hi CHiD,

Good question!

Can you read a CDROM in both drives?

Does both CDRW and CDR drive appear in "My Computer"?

If not, then check to see that the jumpers are placed correct. There can only be one master and one slave drive on each ATA channel...

Regards

Jakob

Yes, they were definitely both installed correctly and were both recognised and working.

Perhaps the powersupply drops voltage when you are writing.
Make a burn test with the reader cdrom disconnected .

Thanks for the replies.

I have been browsing other posts in the forum and suddenly realise that my PSU wattage may not be enough. I have some unscrewing and fiddling to do I think.

I like this site :)

Come back with the results please ,don't leave us hanging..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back