Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machine not booting for first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarun209

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2003
US
Hi

I got a very strange problem with my pc.

if i switch my pc after some time that is

i switch on UPS and the cpu it runs post but after a blinking cursor stays there nothing happen.but after i again press the power button after few seconds it boot properly.

I have dettached all the peripherals but problem remains the same.

Recently i got my power supply repaired due to some prbs in it.

The other problem i am facing is that every time i boot the machine it runs scandisk on c drive.i am having win200 professional as os

Possibly your hard drive is getting tired, it is taking too long to spin up fro cold and the BIOS is not detecting it. This may also explain the scandisk running on every boot, you may have some bad sectors (I assume you are shutting Windows down correctly after each session, if not this will also cause scandisk to run.
Try running a full surface scan of the disk, that is Scandisk in "Thorough" mode to check for bad sectors. If you have more than a minimal amount it is time for a new HDD

Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Hi

after running post and detecting hard disk it does not hang on the page where it shows post results and there is light in keyboard.

Secondly how to run full scandisk in win2000

regards
Tarun

Only way i know to force a scandisk on 2k is to goto
start:
Run:
type command - CMD
then when you have old style dos prompt type:
chkdsk /f
at which time it says it cant do it but would you like to schedule a scan after next reboot.
hit yes and next reboot you will get a scan.

Oh forgot to add if you bios supports S.M.A.R.T turn it on it can warn of impending hd failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back