Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machine name is out of sync with rest of names in domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdcr

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2001
US
In our W2K domain, our 5.5 exchange server running W2K Server is named mailserver.domain.net, but all the rest of the machines are named machinename.accounting.domain.net. This seems to be causing problems with our SurfControl Exchange Filter (the service doesn't seem to always find the mail server or profile), but mail is not affected, nor is any other kind of network connectivity...so, is there a safe way to change the name to be the same as the rest of the machines on the domain? Should this be done? Somehow when upgrading our domain from NT4.0 to W2K and/or upgrading this machine, the naming convention didn't carry over, FYI. Many thanks....

Mdcr,

It looks as if you actually have two Domains,

1. domain.net = Parent/Root Domain
2. accounting.domain.net = Child Domain

The only way to change the name of a Domain Controller is to demote it...

Now...calling out all the Exchange experts to help with the rest!

Patty [ponytails2]

It looks like two domains, but if you go to network neighborhood, it doesn't show two domains, only one. And, in Active Directory Users and Computers, this one machine shows up as a computer in accounting.domain.net, so I'm not sure it is two separate domains...

"but all the rest of the machines are named machinename.accounting.domain.net."

For one of these machines you are refering to;

What is the Full Computer name?
What is the Domain name?

If you look on the Network Identification tab of the Properties sheet of My Computer -- the computer name and the domain name are listed there.

Patty [ponytails2]

Are any of these machines Domain Controllers?

No, the machine with the screwy name is not a domain controller, and a normal named machine shows the full computer name as mymachine.accounting.domain.net and the domain as accounting.domain.net. The machine in question shows a full name of mailserver.domain.net and a domain of accounting.domain.net so that is sort of weird...

I'm missing something. This appears to have the same domain name from your previous post, just different machine names which is what you want. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"What really happens is trivial in comparison to what could occur."
Robert von Musil (1880-1942); Austrian author.

no, the machine in question has a full name of mailserver.domain.net and every other machine has a full name of machinename.accounting.domain.net, so the machine in question is missing the 'accounting' part in its name. Yes, the domain looks like it is the same for all machines, but why this discrepancy in the full names? That is what I am thinking is causing the problem with our filters...

Mdcr,

"The machine in question shows a full name of mailserver.domain.net and a domain of accounting.domain.net so that is sort of weird..."

I'm baffled myself...I'll be waiting to read the rest of the posts concerning this issue. :)

Anyone?

Patty [ponytails2]

You might go to the MS site and reference knowledge base article Q257623. It sounds like the problem that you are having. However, if it is, there is a way to fix it even thought the article says there isn't.

Shawn

Yes, that is similar to KB article Q258503, where it talks about differing DNS domain and active directory domain names. SurfControl tech support has been contacted again, but no word from them yet, but the article on their site doesn't help; that is what I do and sometimes the service doesn't start. So, it could be a fault of the SurfControl filter and services, or it could be the discrepancy between the names and the filter trying to find the profile needed for the filter's services to work. We could try the advice of those two KB articles, or we could just leave it alone, maybe reinstall the application (filter) that was having problems. We don't want to make the problem worse

I was about to change the DNS suffix in My Computer/Properties/Network Identification/Properties/More... BUT then I thought, maybe W2K prevented that name change from taking place on purpose, since it is an email server and our email comes to username@domain.net? Now, if I go ahead and change this DNS suffix, and then restart the computer, will we still get mail to this server? It is the only mail server we have and I would not want to change the name in a way that outside mail could never reach it....Any experiences like this? THanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back