Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machine does not turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

swm2win

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2005
US
Someone dropped off a machine that after a power outage did not work. When you press the power button, nothing happens. I opened it up, and one LED on the motherboard lights up, so I'm assuming the problem isn't the power source. Any other ideas to get this up and running?

Thanks!

Try another power supply or check the one you have. There are many wires comming out of the supply and they ALL need to work for the power supply to be OK.

Does the power supply fan come on by chance?

We routinely lose work stations whenever we have an outage here due to power supply failures.

The power supply fan does not come on. I'll try changing the power supply and hope that works.

The power supply has a fuse in it. Have someone who knows how to work on these (can be dangerous!), check the fuse.

A quick PSU test is to short out the power button leads. While looking at the face of the ATX connector, with the latch mechanism on top, the third & fourth pin from the left are the ones. One's a square (third), the other is house-shaped (fourth). Use an insulated wire that's been stripped & tinned, the fan should spin up.

Voltage surges and drops are very destructive, a power conditioner or PFC power supply will help. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back