Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machine Admin Password Win 2k is it changeable?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeavo

Technical User
Aug 8, 2001
GB
The scene,

a user as taken his machine of our local domain and put himself back into a workgroup (messing around),my problem being i've tried putting him back on to our domain but administive rights are required but the machine is a fairly old IBM machine which nobody knows the admin password for,any ideas other than installing 2k over the top and changing the password that way? any help would be appreciated as i currently dont have a 2k disc to hand.

This topic has been covered MANY times - at least once a week since I've been here 8D

Use the "keyword search" tab above to search this forum for "password recovery".

<< JOC >>

floppy boot and bin the \winnt\system32\sam file. Restart, log in as administrator with no password.

Thanks Bill for such a secure system...

Jeavo,

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you are trying to join a workstation to a domain, you will need the Administrator credentials from the domain you are trying to join, not the adminstrator credentials from the workstation.

confused...

Patty [ponytails2]

yeah but to get to the network identification tab to change from a workstion to a domain you need to have admin rights on that system...then you need to be a domain admin ( or equal rights) to add it to the domain...

~TD

hi -- zelandakh -- can you pls elaborate on your explanation of how to log into win 2k with a lost pw? is it the samlib.dll file or samsrv.dll file? and what exactly to you do to it, pls?

thanks!

honey

Technidiva,

You see, I knew I was missing something! :) Thanks TD!

Patty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back