Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MacBook HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

leightur

IS-IT--Management
Jan 25, 2008
GB
After installing an Intel security update to my MacBook the system crashed, after a restart all I get now is a blue screen, a couple of hdd ticks later a folder with a question mark appears.

I have tried to run a disk utility from the CD but the system does not see the HDD.

I have also tried re-seating the drive but no joy.

Have I done everything possible?

My next question can I buy a SATA adapter to USB to try and get some documents off the drive?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks..

sure. most modern caddies take sata drives

I assume you mean DVD rather than CD since you're referring to an Intel Mac.

Try starting from the dvd and proceed to the install screens. See if the the HD is found then. If yes, click the Options button on the installer window and select "Archive and install". This will install a new system while preserving all files and settings. If that's successful, you're machine will restart with the new system and the hard drive will have a folder entitled "previous system" which can be trashed.

If you're successful, you'll have the machine with its original OS as shipped. You can then run any updates you wish, or leave as is.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

Tried starting from the dvd and proceed to the install screens but the HD is not found :-(

I guess the only option I have is to purchase a new drive and purchase a SATA adapter.

start with the caddie and see whether the drive is found when attached via usb. it is possible that the sata interface is fried on the laptop. bear in mind that taking the hard drive out may void your warranty.

How old os the Mac Book and do you have AppleCare - If so don't crack the case, you will void the warranty.

You can check and see if it under warranty still here:
providing you have your serial number.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

Otherworld Computing has sata drives for macbook that come with a caddie (separate) for your old drive. macsales.com
I was looking yesterday for a bigger drive and thought..hmmm good idea.

Otherworld Computing (OWC) is a very good outfit. They know everything about Macs and are straight shooters. I've bought from them for many years.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

You could also take the machine to the Apple Genius bar and have them check it out.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back