Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mac/Windows 2003 Authentication Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

VampyreUK

Technical User
Apr 2, 2001
GB
A friend of mine has a problem using a Mac with Windows 2003 as an authenticating server.

The network consists of 3 Macs and a number of Windows 2003 servers ... the Mac's are 1 OS-X, 1 dual boot OS-X/OS-9 and one OS-9. Neither client PC's nor OS-X systems have issues authentication issues but the OS9 only system behaves as follows:
* On first logon it pops up a dialog box asking for authentication.
* If the user puts his Windows account details in box appears to accept it but the dialog then re-appears asking for the same info.
* If the user deliberately puts an incorrect details into the dialog authentication fails.

To my mind this proves that information is being transferred to (and that authentication is occurring on ) the domain controller.

If the users uses the "kill process key" the dialog box disappears (usually), the OS continues to load normally and access to Windows based resources are OK. The dual boot OS-9/OS-X system has no such issues (even under OS-9).

Neither I or my friend have any significant Mac experience but he was wondering if the "faulty" OS-9 box is possibly trying to logon to a different server with the same IP address as the old file server and if anyone knows if there is a configuration applet in OS-9 that would allow him to turn this initial authentication off?

Apologies for the long explanation but hopefully that is sufficient information.

Unfortunately, OS 9 doesn't *have* built in support for Windows networking; does your OS 9 box have additional software installed to connect to a windows network? (I think it's called "Dave")

Hi OT,

I will ask him (and pass your reply along) however it occurs to me that the system DOES get access to Windows resources eventually so (I presume) the system does have *Dave* already on it.

James

I could be wrong - my skills are in OS X - but that's what I remember. It's quite likely that you're right - the Macs are trying to access an old IP address or server.

Hi OT,

My friend found a solution ... I relayed your reply to him and I honestly don't know how relevant that was in finding it (it always seems to me that just talking to people often bounces support people off in different directions).

Anyway ... apparently there is a folder called Servers under the System folder (hard drive) which contained entries in for the old server. He removed those, but the fault was still there however when he removed all the entries from that folder the problem was resolved.

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to the poist :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back