Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mac will not connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tucker1a4

Technical User
Apr 14, 2003
US
i just got an old powerpc with mac os 9 on it. I have tried connecting it to the internet but it just will not work. I have tried static and dhcp ip addresses, but it does not work. When i tell it to use dhcp server it comes up with a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx ip address which is supposedly the ip address that comes up when the computer can not find the dhcp server. my dhcp server is my router it is directly connected to the mac. does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong? any help would be greatly apprecieted

With your direct connection to your router are you using a cross-over cable. Does the router's LAN led show network activity when the mac is starting up?

um no it is a straight through i remember because i made the cable. the cable is fine though. my router says it has an active link to the mac

do you have another computer to test that it is in fact sending out a good ip address?? can you access the router with that computer or ping it? usually even while pulling a 169 ip you can still access your router to configure it.

yah my pc is connected to the router and it works fine. I checked the dhcp server on the router and it says it got a request and assigned an ip address to a computer. It showed the mac address which I looked up and found that the card was an apple card. So the computer is sending out a dhcp request and the router is sending a reply, the computer is just not getting it or ignoring it. also the router says it has a connection with the mac, not an active one just a connection. I am totally stumped as to what the problem is

you might try deleting the tcp/ip preferences. if not could be the port on the router or the cable. try switching ports and or cables.

"When i tell it to use dhcp server it comes up with a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx"
-->This sounds like you do have a IP address

"I have tried connecting it to the internet but it just will not work"
--> Check the TCP/IP settings to see if there are DNS addresses set up. You may indeed be connected to the internet, but just not able to resolve the name.

In your PPC browser, try typing in the 169.xxx... address to see if you can log into your router.

Good Luck.

the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx is the ip address the computer uses when it can't find the dhcp server. i have deleted the tcp/ip settings and reconfigured them, still nothing. i have switched everything. i have even tried without the router, connecting the computer right up to the modem, still nothing

could it be the NIC Card??? can you access the router from the computer?? switched cables?? if u use the exact same stuff as you do with the pc(port, cable) and u still get 169, it may be the card. have you tried setting the ip staticly?? try that, you should however be able to access the router from the mac regardless!!

no i can not access the router from the mac, i can however access my router with the same cable, so it is not the cable, i have swithed the card, the card i put in works on macs and pc's and i have tried it in a pc and it works. the card did not work. so it is not the cable or the card, the wierdest part is that the card, with mac address (00-05-02-xx-xx-xx)<-- thats an apple card, in other words the card in the mac, sends out a dhcp request and my router recieves it, but the computer doesnot recieve the response to it. this is what my router shows on it dhcp page

oh yah and i have tried static that does not work either. I just about ready to return the thing and get my money back

start your machine, Zap the PRAM (hold down OPTION+COMMAND+P+R) let ths chime about 3 times then let the machine start. When it boots look in the top left corner of the screen, you will briefly see 2 horizontal arrows flash a few times. Also the second icon that shows on the bottom of the screen as the extenxions start to load is the ethernet extenxion ( a red X on it means ethernet is disabled). After machine is booted go to Apple Menu, Control Panels and AppleTalk, Since you said this is a older PowerMac make sure Ethernet is selected and not Printer Port.

you might try to put your user name and password in the router. i just setup a dsl for a guy who needed a username and pass to get on. i just put it in the router and it worked fine

don't let your schooling interfere with your education--mt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back