Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mac user cannot write to samba share on RHEL5 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

PixPocket

MIS
Jan 21, 2002
US
Hello. I have an ongoing issue on our RHEL5 server where our Mac users (running Leopard OS) cannot write to existing smb shares even with the appropriate group permissions assigned. If the Mac user is set as the folder owner, they can write just fine. If the user accesses the smb share via a Windows session, they can read/write as expected (utilizing the group permissions). It seems that the Mac session doesn't recognize the group permissions. The folders are all owned by 'root' with a specific group assigned as the group owner. The Mac users are of course listed in the group and the group has RWX permissions assigned - hence it is working properly in a Win session. Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening? It is very frustrating to say the least.

Thanks in advance --- PP

Did you set this up via cli or with webmin or what?
Also could you do a 'ls -l' on the directory and post it here?
One more question, how do you know that the mac user is the owner of this folder?

Windoz passes the userid to samba's PAM when logging.

I am not sure how that happens, perhaps some windoz guru here can clarify that, but it looks like your mac is not passing login credentials to linux smb server.

I must ask you though, why not use NFS instead of samba for mac users?
Leopard is a kind of *nix system so NFS is the way to go when it comes to file sharing.

QatQat

If I could have sex each time I reboot my server, I would definitely prefer Windoz over Linux!

Thanks for all the replies. I changed the auth method to 'user' and that fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back