Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mac to pc convertion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manic

Programmer
Feb 28, 2001
GB
Big hurry.

I have been given a cd with quick time movies on it. Unfortunatly we need to play them on a pc. Any idea where I can get a mac to pc converter for mov files ???

please help

Manic
-----------------------------
I've broken it again !!
lee.gale@virgin.net

Could you reburn the CD as an ISO 9660 from a Mac?

Can you read the CD in the PC or has it been writen as Mac format?

If you can ready the CD, copy the files off and add the Quicktime extension to the end of the file name. (.MOV)

If you can't fix it in 20 call someone who can.

I can read the cd on a pc and I have tried adding the file extention .mov

I have also tried using divex, bink and smacker to try and re-code the file but nothing seems to work.

I am open to any suggestions.
Manic
I've broken it again !!
lee.gale@virgin.net

You could download the quicktime player from the apple web site.
They have a pc version.

That is assuming you haven't allready tried it.

Have you tryed opening quick time and going to file open? Then selecting the file.

Is it possable the files are compressed? Do the files have an extension names on them at the moment? If you can't fix it in 20 call someone who can.

the original mac files dont have a .mov or any extention but if u dbl click on them on a mac they run in Quicktime.

still stuck for any more ideas.
Manic
I've broken it again !!
lee.gale@virgin.net

Have tried loading them into realtime player on a PC? Rather than Quicktime. If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

I dont think its a quicktime problem.
Its a problem with trying to read a file burned on MAC on a windows platform.
I had once faced the same problme iwth html file.
However I didnt find any solution

I'd try copying the Quicktime movies from the cd onto the hard drive (either on the desktop or a folder somewhere in the C: drive) of the PC and adding the .mov suffix. Make sure you have the current version of the Quicktime Player for Windows at < That has worked for me when forced to use Windows. Best thing for those sharing files is to always add the .mov suffix prior to burning a cd since you never know when you'll need to use Windows.

I think I have tried everything you have all suggested.

I am running QT5 atm and still nothing.

I am inclined to go along with mubariz way of thinking, i.e the cd burning thing.

The only other thing I can try is to get apple talk to talk to the network and try and sort it out n a mac (fingers crossed)

thanks to you all for the suggestions.

Manic
I've broken it again !!
lee.gale@virgin.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back