Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mac Software 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

robinguild

Technical User
Jul 17, 2001
GB
how can I open MS Access on a Mac?

Go to Microsoft.com and buy VirtualPC and Office Professional.

And if you're patient and want acceptable speed, an intel Mac, one of the umpteen versions of Windows Vista and Office Professional.

soi la, soi carré

Of course if your not actually looking to "run Access" on your mac and just need "the data" - you could export the tables from MS Access into something (Excel tables?) that the Mac could readily read. Of course to utilize the data with complex relationships you would have to then imort the data into some roughly equivelent database. No simple task. If you want all the "forms" and other elements of a running MS Access -- a virtual macine running Windows is so far the only way. MS hasn't yet released Virtual PC for Intel mac -- And I hear that Vista will still be BIOS based.

Since last month, the news is that only 64 bit versions of Vista will run on EFI, so Vista-booting on an intel Mac is unlikely without interesting patches/hardware hacks.

Therefore, running an MS OS on an intel Mac will require some sort of VMWare-like scenario or an update of Virtual PC. Somehow I feel the former is more likely to be the case.

Unless you're a gamer wanting to run PC games at native speeds, I would have thought that the ability to run Windows on an intel Mac without rebooting would be an acceptable course of action (minimise effect of malware, ability to restore from a saved image, speed and convenience of switching).

If other forums are any indicator, there seems to be an awful lot of interest in a MacBook Pro that can run multiple OS's, so if you're patient, the options will come.

soi la, soi carré

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back