Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mac RAM Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

pintail

Technical User
Sep 18, 2001
US
I have had IBM clones for years but know diddly about Macs. I just inherited a Powermac 7200/120 and would like to add some additional memory. Does a Mac use the same memory as an IBM clone? Additionally, can you swap CDROMS, floppy drives, etc between machines? Dont want to start a big debate between MS and Mac folks, just looking for info! Many thanks.

As far i know, memory is memory. Just apply the same checks as you would if you were adding ram to a PC (ie - ram type SD, DDR) and speed PC100, PC133.

Not sure if mac motherboards have the small ide port, but think a cd drive would work but think those old macs use SCSI drives, so you need a SCSI CD ROM drive,

Thanks westredd! All I have to do now is figure out what buss speed it is running. Appreciate the info as I said I know nothing about Macs.

no prob, meant to say that Not sure if mac motherboards have the small ide port for a floppy drive.. cheers..

Do a google search for Macintosh User Groups. You should be able to find the equivalent of Tek-Tips.

I find lowendmac.com a good resource for system profiles and upgrade paths. Check out
I gave an old 7200 to my brother to fool around with, generally if you search ebay for MAC DIMM you'll come up with the best deals on memory.

I bought a bunch of sticks for the thing and they all worked fine. Pretty cheap too. If you look around a bit, you may be able to find a deal on a G3 daughtercard for less than $100 too.

Thanks micker377 and wooglin! I was condering if there might be a Mac user group. I will check it out. Appreciate all the good info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back