Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mac RAM on PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cydud3

IS-IT--Management
Dec 21, 2004
KE
I just recently accidentally purchased a RAM that was designed for Mac Powerbooks (Kingston KTA-PBG4266/1G). Without realizing it, I popped it in to my pc notebook. It works perfectly. Now, is there anything wrong with this? I'm not complaining or anything because it works but I can't help but think that my computer might die in a couple of weeks or so because of perhaps some strange incompatibility.

Has somebody had this situation before? Is it OK?

2B||!2B

cydud3,

You have, apparently, obtained memory that is of the same type that is used for PC's.

Apple uses non-parity mem as many PC's do today. Incompatibilities were much documented in the earlier days where PC's used parity type mem.

Mem does not contain MAC specific anything.
As it is working it will continue to work and failure will not be due to the fact that it was MAC mem.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Thanks for that info. I was debating whether to return it but that is hard for me to do as I'm currently travelling. I was also trying to google it but I couldn't find anything on the subject. I guess I'll just keep it because it does work fine.

However, if the mem does not contain anything specific to Macs, then why is it "designed for macs" :)

2B||!2B

This is a 1GB PC2100 SODIMM designed for the Powerbook G4 12"., This is a small package and the physical outline size of the SODIMM is constrained. Therefore the Apple specific designation.

You might have been able to get this same memory (1GB) for maybe less if not specifically for an Apple. If you found this at a reasonable cost the form factor (chipwise & pinwise) is standard PC2100 SODIMM.

If it makes you uneasy, by all means see if you can return it.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

There is no difference between the physical size/form of this SODIMM than the ones I currently have. The reason why I chose this RAM was because I found it was the cheapest around compared to the other 1GB PC2100 SODIMM (from the same vendor). So, I guess the cost is reasonable. You did convince me though so I won't be returning it :) It's too much of a hassle.

2B||!2B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back