Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mac / PC Cross-Platform Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

courseyoucan

Technical User
Jan 28, 2005
US
I've been using Q5 PC since it was released. I am aware that there are cross-platform issues, but the only ones that I have directly confronted are font issues. I have heard that:

Mac OS X will handle all True-Type fonts, whether for PC or Mac.

OTI fonts will work on all platforms.

Having the same version font from the same manufacturer will help to alleviate the problems no matter what OS or platform.

Are these statements true?

Is there a place I can look for a thorough discussion of these cross-platform issues? Are there things I can do to help eliminate problems for Mac users? And - is it the case that if I send to the print vendor a Quark-originated .pdf file created via Distiller, that .pdf file can be RIPped without any problems? Thanks.

Truetypes fonts are platform specific. like Postscript. Open type are universal, but not many people have that many of them.

There are no other cross platform problems. Remember that a lot of people never went past Quark 4, so you might have to back save. I don't know if Quark 4 (or 5) can handle Open Type, as they came on the scene well after 4. If you're sending to people who have changed to Indesign, backsave the Quark 5 doc to Quark 4. ID will not import Quark 5 or later.

If your just sending proofs to clients, you can distill a pdf with embedded subsets of fonts, and not hav a problem.

Sending pdfs to printers depends on the printer. Some can easily handle pdfs, while others can't. You also have to know what version of Acrobat they can handle. If they only have 4 and you send a 5, there will be problems. Check with the printer. Also, if you have transparency in the doc, Acrobat 4 will do some flattening - with negative results. Use Acrobat 5 or later if you have transparency.

Just a quick note about OpenType. Some RIPs have trouble with them even if they're embedded in a PDF. It's not a well documented problem, and probably shouldn't happen, but it's worth sending a test file over to your printer to make sure. They don't have to print anything, just see if it RIPs and previews ok.

However, they are a good format that will probably take over from both PostScript and TrueType in time. Hopefully that will put an end to cross-platform issues!

Is it cross-platform if it's Mac OS 9.2 to MacOS X.3 ? I have a problem with fonts which fits the description of cross-platform incompatibility, but it's going from Quark 4-5 (OS9.2) to Quark 6 (OS X.3).

Seems like a no-brainer, but how to find a working font to replace the one I need (UnivGreekwMathPi)....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think it's an OS issue. I tried opening that font and it came out blank in Quark 6, but it worked fine in other OSX apps. I know 6.5 has fixed a few font issues, so it might be worth upgrading (it's free). I haven't upgraded yet, so I can't say for sure.

Is that particular font installed on the OSX machine? If it's not, you or whoever has the OSX machinw will have to install it.

If it is installed, is it active? Open Fontbook on the OSX machine and try to locate it. If it's grayed out, it has to be turned on.

On OSX machines, fonts can be stored in any number of places. To make fonts available to both osx and 9.2 they should be stored in Hard Drive/System Folder/Fonts - as long as the Classic enviroment is installed with OSX.

To make fonts available to all users, but only good in OSX applications, they're placed in Hard Drive/Library/Fonts.

To make fonts available to only one OSX user, they're placed in Hard Drive/User/Library/fonts.

To make them available to only one application, they're stored in a fonts folder that was installed by the applications installer in its folder.

Fonts in OSX should be installed using Fontbook, rather than the old draggin into the Fonts folder.

Thanks - I tried 6.5 upgrade and opened my 5.0 quark file - it still won't show (maybe it's just a 'quark' thing) - Hopefully this has a solution or my math equations won't...

: )

On OS9 I used to use this app called TTConverter which would covert windows truetype to mac. In OS9 I would also use Macromedia Fontographer. In OSX I use FontLab, most likely tons of apps you can use mac and PC, though a lot of time it messes up on the rips I use.

It just be great if people would stick to good ol Adobified FontFolio or if its not exciting enough something by any of the major foundrys. Its just not nice when you get some file from a PC user who looks like they used Quark for the first time and used every standard issue chincy windows truetype font they could find, a few truetype fonts which they got when they installed My Uber Business Card Designer Deluxe Pro (*Insert any cheese program there), and then to top it off they add a few ungodly fonts which they found on some low budget webpage. Must calm down, I won’t get into the mess of files which I see on any given day.

At least if its with any of the major foundrys I have the font and its not that major of a deal with cross compatibility.

As for cross compatibility there is only one thing you can say, PDF!
PDF PDF PDF, and pdf’d correctly! Can’t say enough about it!

Well guys, while this has been fun and informative, I've decided that quark wins this one... the font is transparent in quark 6.0-6.5 only. It shows up again once it goes to postscript and then pdf. While it is a curiosity, I have other fish to fry as they say...

thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back