Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mac OSX Remote Desktop and Windows 2000 Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

starbird

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2002
US
Hi there.

Here is what I am trying to do.

I have a PC that I just installed Windows 2000 Server, 10 client licenses. I am a Mac guy, but have a wireless/wired network as I often work from home with my work PC laptop. I want to use my old PC (newly imaged as STARBIRDW2K) as a file and print server. I want to connect my USB printer to it and store files on it.

Not a big deal. Here is the kicker. I don't want to have to keep a monitor/keyboard/mouse set up for the server. I will use them only if needed.

I want to access the server via Remote Desktop Connection from my Mac, using Remote Desktop Client for Mac.

That is where I am stuck. What do I need to do on my W2K box to get this to work?

Under Add/Remove Programs, make sure that the Terminal Services is installed. You can install the minimum of the "remote administration mode" allowing you two connections into the server. Application server mode will require CALs and, in your scenario, isn't necessary.

After a quick CD install and reboot, you're done!

Use the RDP for Mac to connect to the name (if registered in DNS on your network) or IP of the server and you're off and running. Works pretty slick. We were doing some software support on OS X and the client connected into my server's quite nicely.

Hope this helps!

-David

---
David R. Longnecker
Web Developer
CCNA, MCSA, Network+, A+
Management Information Services
Wichita Public Schools, USD 259

Thanks! I'll try this and let you know how it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back