Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAC OSX.2 and Active Directory Authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettums

IS-IT--Management
Dec 27, 2000
US
I've been banging my head agenst my desk for two straight days on this touchy subject. I just recieved 18 new emacs w/ OSX.2 for our new lab. The goal is to authenticate users via active directory (LDAP). I was hoping someone out there has successfully done this.

Can anyone send feed back and discuss in greater detail?

thanks!
-Brett

Mac OSX (Jaguar) will authenticate into a Win2k AD. Check Apples site and they have all the info on how it's done.

KMPman
CCNA, MCP-W2K

we had AD connecting through the MACS but they would lock up frequently, this procedure also requires some active directory schema admin actions you may need special priveledges (schema admin priveledges) to pull this off, we ended up removing the MACS, they would not play well on AD

Not an easy solution, I have a public school network with W2K and 10.2....To get/share usernames, passwords, home folders etc between systems took LOTS of research, Acitve Directory Schema Changes, and Netinfo configuration changes in order for both systems to read/write information back and forth.

10.3 Server is "supposed" to have these abilities BUT Apple has made this claim with 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 and now on 10.3. I'll believe it when it happens right out of the box.

Apple made us pay full education price for versions 10.0 and 10.2 and now offered a 3 year "protection" plan (for full education price) for any "future" releases of OS X Server.....

So basically we have paid full price for THREE server versions in less than three years......And Apple still hasn't lived up to marketing (performance and integration) claims from version 10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back