Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAC OS X Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnuts

Technical User
Sep 26, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I've got this MAC G4 running OS X, but it keeps crashing after being left idle for 10 minutes when starting the screen saver...

Has anyone had this problem before..

Many Thanks for you help in advanced.

;O)

cheers

Define crashing.

Is it hanging in the screen saver?

Is it going to sleep and then not waking up?

Is it getting a kernel panic? (translucent dialog box telling you to power-cycle the computer)

Things you can try:

1. Switch to a different screen saver and see if the problem goes away (I've had problems with 3rd party screen savers)

2. Change your energy-saver settings to ensure that the computer doesn't go completely to sleep.

3. Verify that it doesn't have any 3rd party kernel extensions that might be causing problems.

Hey there,

By crashing i mean once i wake up the MAC the mouse and keyboard doens't respond... This is an internitten fault..

This is a fresh build so i don't have any 3rd party screen savers or 3rd party kernals but i will try your 2nd suggestion..

Thanks for you help so far..

;O)

cheers

I would make sure the "Put hard drives to sleep when possible" isn't checked under your energy saving options. Never liked that option on Windows and I never use it on our MACs.

I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. ~ Baggins

You might check to see when you have your screen saver set to start.

Then look at energy saver prefs and see when you have Sleep and Display Sleep (if set) set to start. You could also check energy saver options and, if you don't need them, uncheck them.

You could be having a problem is any of these are set for the same time. I have the Energy saver settings set to kick in after 1 hr of no use and the screen saver set to 15 min.

Hey, Walnuts - off topic, but...

Is there any reason your sig has a clown nose?

I have an actual reason for asking.

Not really.... Setup this account up ages ago...

;O)

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back