Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mac OS with broadband router? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

krabban

Programmer
Oct 18, 2003
SE
I recomended Linksys BEFSR81, listed here,
to the customer and they bought it. But now the Mac OS computers seems to work very bad. What is that all about!?

I don't have a portable Windows computer, just a PowerBook G4. I was using MS Messenger and I was diconnecting after a while. Now the office can't use the Internet because of the router.

is there a workaround!?

Is there a way to add firmware without having a Windows computer? I have been updating firmware using the webbrowser in equal products from other companies.

The firmware informaion at linksys.com is not easy to follow...

The fineprint:

The Linksys Group, Inc.

Firmware Date : December 13, 2002
Current Firmware : Version 2.44.2
Product PartNo : BEFSR81

Release Notes
----------------------

Below is a list of enhancements made on the Router:

1. Fixed UPnP functions

Known issues
-----------------------------

There is no known issue at this time. If you find a bug,
please report this to our technical support by E-mail
at support@linksys.com.

This is the read me texfile comming with the firmware update. It's dated December 13, 2002 wich soon is one year from today.

Why would a firmware update be this old!?

OK....

I installed firmware 2.44.2, the latest avlible but that worked even worse using Mac OS X!

Is LinkSys not working with Mac OS X!?

Quick questions first.

A1. You have choices about the firware upgrade process. If you use the .exe file form, you need a Microsoft Windows computer directly connected.

If you use the .bin form, you need a tftp client for the MAC.

A2. Known issues with OS X

No.

This is not a Liksys firmware issue.
Consider for a moment all the Linksys (or another) router is being asked to do:

. Stay connected to your ISP,
. Pass a DHCP IP for the client, a subnet mask, a Gateway address, and DNS server entries.

In your case it sounds like a configuration issue on the Linksys Router.

Lets ignore Messenger for the moment. Can you and other client stay connected to Google? Can you reliably hyperlinke to other valid sites? Is your LAN connection okay when you experience Internet problems? Are you getting valid local IP addresses, Gateway, Subnet, DNS addresses when the client workstations connect?

If the answer is no to most of the above, your cable plant would be the first suspicious thing.

Assuming you are clean on all cable plant issues, including autonegotiation issues with Speed and Duplex settings:

. Do the looooong reset of the router.

Hold the reset button until all the lights flash, go off, and the diag light goes off. Turn it off for one minute. Hold the reset button while your turn the router back on. Wait again. Unpower the router for at least one minute.

With only 1 machine on and connected to the router, redo your settings. Disable logging. Disable the use of the DMZ. Disable Remote Access to setup. Set the router to autoconnect with a timout of 30. Disable DDNS. Disable uPnP. Press the reset button briefly (1 second). Power it off.

Reconnect your machines.

You symptoms are more typical of a lack of RAM for OS X than a router issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back